• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast Gate and Batten Cars

RKCRWLR

Member II
Got my new Mack sails in. I was surprised to find that they use batten cars... nice feature that I had overlooked. However, the batten car can not drop below the mast gate for reefing, esentially it creats a sail stop above the gate. While its still possible to reef, it leaves a bulk of sail to deal with above the boom. Anyone have a solution for this? Looks like I would need to modify the style of gate. Thanks!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Jacklines

Search for this topic-it is an easy fix, and Mack Sails should do it for you for free if you explain your problem and tell them you want them..

RKCRWLR

Member II
Follow-up

Follow up on this... I had a jackline on the Elliott Pattison main previously. As the EP had slugs and would slide easily past the gate, there appeared to be no reason to have a jackline on the Mack. It has all worked out regardless. I added a Davis sail stop above the gate, so the bat car stops without bind. Sailing this week, I was forced to reef, both 1st and second. The spacing is sufficient to allow easy attachment to the horns. The cars made sail handling a snap, even with a lot of pressure on the sail. I could not be more pleased with the sail overall and find no need to flake to the boom (gate is about 8 inches above) and the sail cover fits fine. So for anyone considering a Mack sail, I can't say enough good about the sail and the service:egrin:.