Mast replacement

Chris A.

Member III
Our E34 Kenyon mast was broken during ground transportation last week:mad:. Rig-rite, who would be the only OEM source for a Kenyon replacement, is being exceedingly difficult as far as estimating a timeline on replacement. Basically, they're suggesting it as a "winter project".

So I contacted Buzz Ballenger after learning about Ballenger Spars on this site. He has been great and it appears he can get a completed rig to me on the opposite coast within 6-8 weeks.

My question is: what does anybody with a Ballenger Spar think of the quality of the product? One concern I have is that the 51 ' 2" tapered mast they would make for us would have a splice near deck level, as the longest extrusion they have is around 46 feet. I believe the Kenyon is a single extrusion. Another disadvantage is a slightly different (but smaller) cross-section, so we will have to replace the mast step, but not the collar on the coach roof (just new spartite). Advantages are apparently excellent service, very good price, slightly lighter spar, and a very close design (Selden for example is not making any tapered masts).

Thanks for any feedback.

Broken at upper spreader:

mast break.jpg

Mastless launch:

launch.jpg

Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Hey Chris,
I don't have any experience with Ballenger, but I can tell you that the Kenyon mast on our 1988 E-38 was built in 3 sections. I stripped and painted it this year and there were 2 very obvious sheath/weld points on it- so I wouldn't have that be a dealbreaker.
just a thought,
Chris

Blue Chip

Member III
Ballinger gets a thumbs up

Blue Chip had a mast replacement around 2001. GREAT. It was recommended by the local boat yard (SVENS) a one of the best. Can't disagree. Mast step need adjustment and the tie rod is a litle different...but we are very pleased.

JMS

Member II
Buzz builds a first-rate spar. Dealing with Rig-Rite or Ballenger Spars is about as much of no-brainer choice as it gets. The couple of times I had to deal with Rig-Rite were throughly unpleasant experiences on all accounts: communication (poor bordering on rude), meeting delivery times (ridiculously late) and price (exorbitant).

Razzberries

Olson34 mast design

I replaced my factory mast with a Ballenger mast a couple of years ago because of a crack at the topping lift exit plate. In my opinion the exit plate was too high on the mast and located where maximum bend occurs when the backstay is applied, and that caused the mast to crack. I am a racer so I put more pressure on a mast than many skippers do. The Ballenger mast is superior in design and construction to the Kenyon mast. Having a splice at deck level is a good thing, not a weakness, because they sleeve and rivet the splice as well as other stress points, such as the spreaders. The topping lift exit plate is also reinforced. Ballenger's pricing and service are excellent. I replaced my boom at the same time, because of deterioration and design defects, (i.e., boom to vang connection). Razzberries

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I'll throw in my thoughts as well Chris. I would be torn. I have dealt with Rigrite with mixed results but they do have the OEM spars. My mast has only one weld at the tapered section although a weld and reinforcement at the partner should not pose any strength problems. 6-8 weeks out is almost a winter project here in Maine;). By the time you get the mast back up with all your fittings in place it may be time to take it down again. Then again you would know that it is ready for 2008. I would assume you will be getting a fairly bare spar from them. Expect to route all the halyards, install lighting and associated wiring, install all cleats, tracks and other fittings. Ballenger sounds like the guy to work with except that he is on the left coast and doesn't use the OEM spars(may be good or bad). If he will provide a better spar than who cares about OEM.

Just rambling

BTW, I would be happy to help you out with reassembly when the time comes. I have yet to sail on Peregrine. You are one up on me!

That old mast will make an awesome flag pole;)

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Ballenger has a great rep and likely they deserve it. However if you would like to stay on the East Coast then you may want to call Rig Pro, in Portsmouth, RI or Hall Spars in Newport, RI, IIRC. While either may not carry the Kenyon I know for a fact that Hall supplies tapered spars as I was looking at a new Hall on a new boat just this weekend. Another good company to try is www.riggingonly.com I don't believe they sell spars but they are a top notch outfit and can likely recommend a supplier closer to you. I try to support local business as much as possible and I also like to go and touch-n-feel the things I'm paying for.... But I'm kinda wierd. RT

Chris A.

Member III
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the responses. The splicing makes me less nervous now. I'll let you know how it pans out. Rob- thanks for the other east coast suggestions. Tim- thanks for the help offer and I may take you up on it (as I have before!!!).

valentor

Member II
Chris;

I realize it's late in your process, but I felt I should give Buzz Ballenger :egrin:and his crew a great reference;

They made a new mast for my E34 about five years ago nad shipped it to Chicago in two pieces.

It has performed flawlessly and delivered above average utility. The engineering work was excellent, and my boat performs better and is much easier to sail.

I highly recommend Ballengers Spars.

-Steve

Peregrine

Member II
Chris,

A name of a builder that hasn't come up yet is Lefiell here in California. They built the mast for my PSC Ericison 38 and I believe it is a solid extrusion with a taper. Here is a link to them. www.lefiell.com

BTW nice name for your boat.

Tony
Peregrine Spirit
E380
San Diego

Chris A.

Member III
Steve- Thanks and Buzz had brought you and your boat up in our E34 conversation. Tony- thanks I like the name too. Our last boat was named simply "Spirit". :)

Cheers,
Chris

escapade

Inactive Member
mast splice

I have a splice in my spar @ the partners on our E34. This was due to having to lengthen the spar to take it back to factory specs. Have had "0" problems with this in 5 years of sailing & racing. I have it set up with a hydralic backstay so I do put some strain on it. I must agree with the others, dealing with Rig-Rite can be a pain. They have the OEM parts, but getting them to follow through and the prices are a pain!
Good luck, have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 #265 "Escapade":cheers:

Chris A.

Member III
Follow up

A final report to my project: we went w/ Ballenger, who supplied a quality product with minor delays and was always very pleasant for me to deal with. There were some minor adjustments to make as far as fitting to the boat (please ask me for details if anyone is contemplating a mast replacement). The most significant problem- who would have guessed - was shipping. When the spar arrived on the east coat last fall it was damaged (significant gouges and scratches) and forced a claim on the shipper's insurance.

Sure is nice to be up and running again this season...

Stepping last year:

new mast.jpg

Underway recently:

sailing.jpg

paul culver

Member III
What are you guys paying for replacement masts? I'm curious because I have sticker shock from the estimates I'm getting to have my mast refurbished. Maybe I should think about replacement when the time comes.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Chris A.

Member III
I can vouch that Tim's restored mast looks great. If the mast is intact, I would think that would be the way to go. Our painting estimate from the pro's to re-paint our new spar due to the shipping damage was 3 K, so Tim's effort and expertise to do it himself saved some real money.

Our total bill for replacement including mast, rigging, furler, step and unstep for fit was 18K (how's that for sticker shock).

The spar itself was 11 K.

paul culver

Member III
Tim

Thanks for the pics and the detailed write-up on the mast refurbishing procedure. Looks like DIY is reasonable and definately saves big $$$.

Paul
E29 "Bear"