Mast Stepping 'kit'/crutches E25??

briangsmith

Member II
ok, so, with my new '78 E25 there is this intriguing little booklet
on how to raise and lower the mast single-handed.. all it seems
to require is time... and a pair of 'crutches' to rest the lowered
mast on...

does anyone have these original 'crutches'? and/or have a plan
i can borrow/copy to make a set?? anything else required??

thnx,

bgs

gjersvik

Member II
I will take a picture of the kit this weekend and post it here. As for one person doing it HA! :( The biggest problem is attaching the mast base to the tabernacle. The mast support really needs to be much further forward than where it currently mounts. When I slide the mast forward I can't push the mast base down unless I have either a second person pushing down on it, or supporting the mast while standing on a step ladder. Ideally a telescoping mast support mounted on the trailer tongue would solve this. Once the mast base in secured to the tabernacle, it really is a simple job to just crank up the mast. Once it is up you can easily secure the stays. That is usually when I realize that I forgot the windex :esad:

asl100376

It just so happens that I am about to lower my mast in the next week also on my E25. I just finished fixing the trailer and I am eager to get her out of the water for some repairs.

My boat also did not include the mast crutches or "boom guys" for the mast raising kit. My current plan is to build crutches out of 2x4s for the time being and have several extra hands ready when I lower mast.

I would be very interested in the dimensions of the mast crutches you have from the factory also.

Also if anyone has pictures/dimensions of the boom guys that would be help me a bunch.

Thanks,

Scott
E25 CB
Lake Travis, TX

gjersvik

Member II
Brian:

I did not forget about the pictures, I got sucked into a work vortex this past weekend and I just escaped. I hope to post them shortly.