More E-38 Rudder questions

Ericsean

Member III
I notice my 1980 Hull #3 E 38 rudder turns 1" more to port than it does to starboard.

Investigating this, I found a pipe attached to the pedestal base which extends down inside the quadrant which seems to be intentional as a stop to prevent over steering.

However, the quadrant comes in contact with this on the web (describing the quardrant as a curved Tee shape) on when the rudder is turned to staboard. When it turns to port, the pipe misses the web and contacts the flange, allowing a little extra movement.

I did not have this stop installed on my E30, but the wheel was an aftermarket addition.

I was wondering if the stop is standard on other E-38s, & also a little woried that something is not symetrical in the system, since the contact points are different.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Is it possible that the quadrant is installed slightly off-axis to the rudder stock? The quadrant could also be bent/twisted slightly to cause different contact point? Be glad you have a stop. Mine is missing entirely. Broken off likely be some PO letting the wheel go while reversing at speed..... RT

tdtrimmer

Member II
I have a 1981 E38 with a condition similar to yours. I have the post sticking down and the rudder will turn a bit more one way than the other. If this is of concern to you, you could equalize the amount of turn by adjusting the cables; shortening one and lengthing the other. This would have the effect of moving the center point of the quadrant. Alternatively, I'd just go sailing.
Tom
S/V Mistress

Ericsean

Member III
rudder

Thanks for your input Tom, but my concern is somewhat structural. If the stop is meant to hit thequadrant in the web( bottom of the T section) and not the flange, (top of Tee Section), I am concerned that the stop pipe might break the Tee section of the quardrant.

I guess I was also looking for confirmation regarding the stop being universally installed as well.

The steering is a sticky subject for me. I lost it off Montauk Point while delivering my boat right after I purchased it last June. My fault for trusiting a professional surveyor insteasd of checking things myself.

tdtrimmer

Member II
I'm having trouble visualizing just how it is designed to be of help. I spent lots of time under there when I first purchased the boat rebedding the upper rudder shaft bearing that had broken loose. Surveyer missed that too. I also have the autopilot hydraulic ram attached to the quadrant. As I recall, the construction of the quadrant and supports are very strong.
Tom
S/V Mistress 1981 E38

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
A simple solution would be to lengthen the rudder stop. If the post is not long enough a simple solution would be to install a section of pipe that fits snugly over the stop and hangs down lower to engage more of the quadrant. Would this work? I am guessing yes and the increase in stop diameter would reduce rudder deflection angle slightly. This is unlikely to cause issue. RT

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
There are a couple other threads, one recent, that describe the stops in this vintage of the E38 with the Yacht Specialties steering system. My boat has a piece of aluminum tube projecting down, out of the rectangular cast box assembly that also incorporates the horizontal sheaves. The assembly installs against the underside of the cockpit floor under the pedestal area. Impossible to get to unless you are very small, are inverted in the stern lazarette, or can get in past the water heater, as Kevin describes.

On mine the stop strikes the top of the T rather than the stem, but with a long enough stop it could also strike the stem. Mine just scrapes the stem on one side. There are cases where the built-in stop has been eliminated in favor of other means. Extending the stop as Rob suggests has been done before, too. Usually there is a piece of plastic or rubber covering the stop to prevent wear on the quadrant web.

Misalignment between the rudder quadrant and the box assembly, however it happened, will cause this. I have a slight alignment problem that causes one side of the quadrant web to rub on the stop as the rudder approaches full travel. I feel a little 'hitch' in wheel force at that point, but I can go to full travel and, more importantly, it doesn't stick at full travel, although it sometimes balks a little coming off the stop. If I could get that little piece of tube to stay an eighth inch higher, or get in there to cut 1/4 inch off, there would be no interference.

I've been watching this for a couple years and there isn't a real wear problem in my case.

I don't recall if I got the attached photos from the Specs and Docs section of this site or via some web search, but here's what the system looks like uninstalled.

Attachments

• Large_Stop_YS_All.jpg
    Large_Stop_YS_All.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Large_Stop_YS.jpg
    Large_Stop_YS.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 57