need spec. on e29 sail. stuck in Tonga?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
According to the specs on this website the Luff=30.54 and the Foot=12.04. What happened to your current main?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
If your boat is a 29T the luff is 32.5 and the foot is 9.9 Ft. The shorter boom is the indicator that the boat is a 29T. The standard cloth is 6.5 oz for both boats you might want to go with 7.

Good luck. Let us hear more about your journey. I plan some short offshore/island hopping and your trip lets me know the 29 will do it.

jkenan

Member III
On the thread "Correcting an unbalanced helm...", Seth outlined the various E diminsions the E29 had during its manufacturing run. The standard rig is always 12', but the tall rig has three possible E diminsions: 9.2, 9.9 and 10 feet. Most were 10.

I think it would be wise to ascertain which E-Diminsion you have before ordering a sail.

Good luck!

paul culver

Member III
Does this mean you are continuing your voyage? The last time I checked your site you said you were finished, staying in Tonga, and the boat was for sale.

--Paul
E29 "Bear"
Oceanside, CA

kjell72

kjell72
sailing on?

Hi all and thanks for the replyes. it is obvious to me that i need to do some more work myself here and not be so lazy and just check the internett, hehe. thanks again for all the replyes and here are some answers to youer questiones.
1. i tore my main because it is too old. i have done 8000 nm downwind with a second hand sail and it is now impossible to go against the wind any more. it does not even have battens left.
2. i am considering going on and have until april to decide, i think i will. the next problem is the atomic 4, in the future (red sea and canals of france) i need a diesel to do an affordable passage. i need to solve that question next
www.trafficated.com

kjell

Seth

Sustaining Partner
mainsail

Because your location is so remote, you really need to check the dimensions. Measure from the back of the mast (near the tack fitting) to a spot about 3" fwd of the outhaul block at the aft end of the boom. This will be your E dimension. Then measure the distance from the tack pin to the back side of the mast-this is your tack "set back"-about 1 inch. E minus tack set back =foot length. It is important to do it this way so your new main will not have a wrinkle at the tack.

For the luff, measure from 1" below the bottom of the main halyard block down to the top of the boom, near the tack fitting. This is the P to use in shopping for a sail. Then measure from the tack pin down to the top of the boom (about 3/4"). This is the tack cut up. Same thing as with the foot.

Now you have a P, E and the tack setback and cut up. Shoot for a 90 degree tack angle for good sail area and no boom droop. If you have a bimini to may want to measure for a max leech length my hoisting a tape to the top of the main halyard and down to the maximum level you want for the boom to clear the bimini/dodger, and subtract about 8" (for the boom height and stretch).This may end up less than 90 degrees, but that is std. for boats without big dodgers or biminis..New or used, this is the way to shop

Good luck!

Seth Morrell