• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New bulkhead

kapnkd

kapnkd
John, I’m curious how your bulkhead has held up over the last 9 years? Anything that has held up well or poorly?

I’m going to need to do some bulkhead repair/ replacement on my E 35-2 and currently in the research stage. Reading about repairs is good. Learning how they’ve held up over many sails is better.

Thanks!

I’ve got a ‘73 E32 and replaced all the bulkheads a few years back. We went with 4 X 8 sheets of mahogany veneered marine ply of 3/4” for the main and 1/2” for the V-Berth bulkheads. (Same thickness as original)

Templates were made of cardboard to insure a better fit...and to make sure we could get them into the boat via the companion way. (No problems)

We ordered new SS water jet cut chain plates from Garhauer in CA. Deck hole cutouts were oversized, resin filled and recut to keep future leaks away from balsa core. Ends of new bulkheads were also resin sealed. Bulkhead chain plate holes were also oversized, resin filled and re-drilled.

We tabbed the new bulkheads more substantial than originally from the factory. Worth considering too - we had the luxury of refitting the new bulkheads while the boat was in the water. This insured a better fit instead of being on the hard.

I’ve got lots of photos and if you have more questions, just email me. .....kkdiehl042@sbcglobal.net

It’s a project not for the faint of heart but certainly IS doable with patience, grit and determination. ...I wore out the door on a confessional - and I’m NOT even Catholic! (Just kidding!)

LeifThor

Member III
Thanks for responding, I’ll email you. It’s inspiring to hear you did it in the water, as that’s how I’d prefer to do it too. Was the mast up when you did it?

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thanks for responding, I’ll email you. It’s inspiring to hear you did it in the water, as that’s how I’d prefer to do it too. Was the mast up when you did it?

You’re welcome, looking forward to your email.

...The mast was down as chainplates needed to be removed prior to cutting out and removing the old bulkheads. (No mast support and in the way).

Regardless of mast up or down, being in the water kept her truer to her “natural” overall “comfortable” shape, form and better dimensions.

Looking forward to more correspondence and hopefully being able to assist you with your project questions. My son, “young” Cary, is an engineer - and although a busy guy - can also add a higher level of technical comprehension as well.

IF you are a DIY kind of person, which it sounds like, and have half an ounce of Moxie....Jump in, the water is fine - once you get used to it.

Fair Winds,
- kerry

jengels

Member II
Hi, Leif. The bulkhead has held up fine. I was just at the boat yesterday in the boatyard in fact and I checked everything and it still seems fine.
Please stay in touch, I'd be happy to help you out if I can. Sorry for the late response, this is my first time on the site in awhile.

John