New Carpet in my E27

Gary Freeburg

Member II
The old carpet over the cabin sole in my E27 has turned to dust. I would like to replace it and am open to any suggestions as to what may work best. I read a post by Loren Beach back in 12/00 that was a good one..low loop, edge bound, and ss snaps to hold it in place. Any other suggestions, type of backing that may be best, a good place to purchase, etc.?
Thanks,
Gary Freeburg
SV Katmai

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
E-27 Carpet

I traced and cut and taped card board to cover the area I wanted covered, which was pretty much every where except the head. I then went to a regular carpet company and asked it they had any good quality indoor / outdoor remnants I could look at. Tight stitching is what you want. They found me a nice piece for 20 bucks that was more than enough to do the whole deck. I then asked if they could sew a hem around the shape. That cost me another 80 bucks. Too keep the price down I wasn't too picky about color. I went with a neutral color because of the environment and dragging sand and dirt aboard on my Catalina trips. I had enough carpet left over to line the cubby's in the "V" berth and build a scratching post for my cat.:egrin:

Attachments

• Carpet.jpg
    Carpet.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 191

Mike Thomas

Member II
Gary,

I have found the cheap and fast solution works best for me. Home Depot or any carpet store. I use the cheapest synthetic stuff they can cut off the roll, Nylon or Polyester (remnants are usually real cheap). I can do my E-29 for under $20 (1/2 yard). At those prices I change the carpet every season. It takes about an hour. All you need is a sharp utility knifes, plenty of blades or a pair of tin snips. Because you can do it with one whole piece you don’t have to worry about it sliding around (Velcro if it does). It gets relatively little use compared to your living room so it looks good for at least a season or two.

Mike T
Babylon

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Mike is right I did my last boat a Neptune 24 with carpet from Home Depot and iron on edging from Joann’s fabric shop I used HD sub flooring compound to glue and raw edges (applied with a putty knife at the base of the pile to prevent the loops from unraveling. The carper was one of the high low loop pile, Berber or something like that, get a tight loop pattern. I also glued Velcro on the back with the sub floor glue and used self stick Velcro on the sole. There were hatch covers in the floor that had to have the carpet glued to them and edges sealed at the backing with the same glue.

Four years and the carpet is what I miss the most about the boat, it still looks great. After a couple of other interior projects my E 29 will have a nice carpet job also.

Remember cut a little big and trim to fit. It is easier to take off a little more than to add more on.

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
Anyone try a teak and holly sole on an E27?

In a related issue, has anyone tried to do a teak and holly sole in an E27? I know there are a number of teak and holly plywood and other materials available. Just wondering how one would work around the curvature forward by the head and at the v berth.

Bryan Howell

Emerald

I helped my Dad do a Teak and Holly sole on a Tartan 34 years back. As you get up to the V-berths on the Tartan 34, there is quite a bit of angle not to dissimilar to the E-27 (I had an E-27). We made a pattern (use heavy paper or thin cardboard) to figure out exactly where the angles were, and then cut the backside of the plywood that the Teak and Holly veneer is attached to. The trick was cutting it almost through, but not quite. It was then a "hold your breath" and very gently fit it in place. We had one spot where it cracked on us, but we filled it with epoxy after putting it down, and once everything was varnished it was really hard to see if you weren't looking/didn't know it was there.

Short of trying to bend like we did, all I can think of would be some very accurate cutting and with a proper mitred edge you could probably join several pieces together and have a nice look.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Gary Freeburg

Member II
Thank you for the suggestions. I think I'll check with the local carpet shops for a remnant after making a pattern of the cabin sole. I'd love the teak and holly sole but will save that project for a different boat. I like the cheap and fast solution. Thank you again!
Gary Freeburg
SV Katmai
E27

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Original lime green SHAG carpet?

Doesn't sound like any one wants to go with the original lime green SHAG carpet shown in the E-27 brochure from the 1970's.

Attachments

• SHAG.jpg
    SHAG.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 157

Emerald

Look,

it's not just the shag green, you've got to have the combo throw pillows and that wonderful striped multi-color - what a party it must have been - fabric on the cushions...

Ain't it grand we got past this "decor" :egrin:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

p.s. are there bell bottoms in that locker?

Attachments

• e27interior.jpg
    e27interior.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Guy Stevens

Or there is the tweed pattern that seems to have actually made it to 2006 on some boats.

This one is off of an Ericson on Yachtworld.

The amazing thing is that there was a time when we all thought this stuff looked "Grooovy!"

Guy
:)

Attachments

• upholstry.jpg
    upholstry.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 146

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Does anyone know where I can get some of the red white and blue upholstery for my E29 like on the brochure, I would also like some platform shoes size 9 1/2 in brown and tan two tone.

What were we thinking back then, shag carpet in a boat. The lockers weren't tall eough for a shag rake. If you drop a winch handle you might never find it in the carpet...........

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Carpet tiles...

I was thinking of carpeting the salon of Sequoia with Legato carpet tiles. That way they are easily replaced and/or cleaned. It's pretty far down on the list of things to do, but we thought it might be handy for longer cruises to help keep things cleaner.
Chris

BTW: I'm totally into the green shag-- it's M-O-N-E-Why money! :nerd: