new fridge

k metzger

I am replacing the Cold Machine on my E-333 (~E32) and have a quote for both the Adler Barbour CU-100 and the Sea Frost BD. Any reason to spend the extra $$ on the Sea Frost? How about Frigoboat?

Thanks,

Keith

Glyn Judson

New Adler Barbour.

Keith, Although we didn't get an all new Adler Barbour system, we did recently get a new compressor assembly including the electronics, fan, etc. The difference between that and the older, larger unit is astounding. I don't dare say that the new one is any colder, they were both the same but at 2 to 3 amps vs. about 6 amps, the differences start there and go on. It seems that the freezing is faster and simply just better??? if that makes any sense at all. Both my wife Marilyn and I continue to remark to ourselves every time we go into the box that the new system is just "better". Add to that a new pair of group 31 batteries, a new Honda 2KW generator and the recent installation of a great little New Mar two-bank battery monitor, all added new within the last three months, and we finally have a good refrigeration system in the boat for the first time since fighting with the old installation for the last 16 years. Our boat has spent these last three months off and on, on a mooring at Catalina Island where we have really been able to test all the components. As a matter of fact, Marilyn is over there now enjoying the new refrigeration system and charging as I type this and will be returning this coming Sunday, ending her three month adventure to spend time over that on our boat. My one cent worth, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No more carrying Ice!

You might want to do a site "search" on the word Frigoboat.
There are a number of good threads -- about a page of listings in all.

Most other brands and types are mentioned and commented on as well.

Not too surprisingly, most owners seem to be pretty happy with whatever brand that they have! :rolleyes:

I really like our Frigoboat system and we use it from early spring to late fall continuously.
Here's just one link: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...p-other-E-boats)-Refridgeration&referrerid=28

Loren

ps: If Glyn's fee is down to a cent (recession pricing?) I had better reduce mine to a half-cent....
:)

Last edited:

sv_naidia

Member II
Norcold Unit

I am replacing the Cold Machine on my E-333 (~E32) and have a quote for both the Adler Barbour CU-100 and the Sea Frost BD. Any reason to spend the extra $$ on the Sea Frost? How about Frigoboat?

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Keith,

I recently installed the Norcold Norcolder SCQTT-4407 unit in my E34T. It is the perfect size for the smaller iceboxes in the original 70's boats. It is a great unit that runs both on 12vdc and 110vac and the switch over is automatic when the system senses a change in the electrical source available. It has very low amperage draw and gets and keeps all the food and especially the adult beverages very chilled. The only thing I did was improve the insulation surrounding the outside of the icebox to improve the efficiency. Highly recommended and at a good price point as well. Seem the way the cost of advice is trending on this site, I may be paying you a couple cents for MY own advice!!!! :egrin::egrin:

Good luck and hope you find your perfect unit.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
+1 for Frigoboat. Running continuously for the last 2 years. Powered most of the time by solar.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
About that "sunny" solution

+1 for Frigoboat. Running continuously for the last 2 years. Powered most of the time by solar.

Sorry to segue off to power needs (although a lot of threads seem to do so, regularly) but how much solar generation do you have.
We keep the boat at its dock with shore power most of the year, but next year we plan a long vacation once the Admiral retires. It would be good to have an idea of what minimum panel size and output might keep the food cold. We live near the 45th parallel, I should note.

Our ice box is pretty well insulated and not too large (3.5 cu ft), and the Frigoboat does not seem to work too hard or often now. I keep the inside at about 36 - 38 deg.

Best,
Loren

Last edited: