• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New (to me) E27 in Sausalito

ibarreto

My original Signet depth sounder transducer (a standard Airmar transducer) is stuck to the inside of of a flat spot on the hull with clear silicon caulk.
It has always been that way. I just redid the silicon a couple of years ago.
The depth sounder has always worked fine.
This saves a hole in the hull.

Mark
View attachment 39088
Thanks Mark, that's what I did also, it works fine! Thanks for the help!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I found a used dodger frame online for 50 bucks and modified it on my garage floor, adding all the vertical and horizontal grab bars and mounting hardware.
The champagne sisters (yep, that's really their last name) at Land or Sea in Loch Lomond did an excellent job on all the custom canvas work including a single wrap around, snap on canvas window protection cover, a cover for the slider and the companionway and modification of the existing full boat cover to fit around the new dodger.
The dodger is attached to the frame with zippers and can easily be removed. The frame is attached to the boat with 6 pull pins and even that can be removed if I ever want to.
Look good! Especially the grab bars.
One question, and asking because this came up with our boat, where do you stand to furl the main sail and to put on the cover? Looks like a rear half of the boom is very difficult to get to.

paul's project

Look good! Especially the grab bars.
One question, and asking because this came up with our boat, where do you stand to furl the main sail and to put on the cover? Looks like a rear half of the boom is very difficult to get to.
The boom itself and the mast winch and lines are easily accessible from walkways on both sides. The rear half of the boom can be reached from the cockpit. There's a leather pass-through sleeve for single hand lines to pass under the leading edge of the dodger later on. The dodger seems to do an excellent job without being in the way or blocking the view.
The full cover has a zipper from a stanchion on the port side to the mast. Beaners secure it to the stanchions for a tight fit all around.

For those interested in E-27's, this 46 year old boat came with recent new upholstery, new sails, new standing and running rigging, sea-cock valves and fresh bottom work and a 9HP two stroke. Surveyor said the boat was a good buy but needed a lot more TLC.

It' still a work in progress but here's a partial list of some of the other improvements so far:

Rebuilt the head, restored the galley (added new equip), replaced both hand water pumps and the stainless head sink basin
Refinished all the teak above and below
Replaced all AC & DC wiring and installed a new circuit breaker board.
The port side lazerette was painted and now now holds all the fenders for quick stow & easy deployment.
Moved the anchor to the bow rail and added a chain & rode locker forward of the V-birth
Rebuilt all 5 winches
Added a helm pedestal guard and a teak cup holder with removable cocktail table
Rebuilt the whale pump and installed an elect bilge pump
Added a Garmin combo GPS/Sonar, installed a stern mounted transducer and a folding boarding ladder
Replaced the 9 HP outboard with a new 20HP. Very quiet and dependable with elect start and power lift/trim
The compartment that held the old motor now holds an amazing amplified stereo system
The aft lazerette holds a 50' shore power line and a spare gas tank but the motor is now connected directly to the stock aluminum gas tank
The cockpit may seem cluttered for a 27 footer but the cocktail table and cup holder are usually stowed below and the corner (margarita) seats can fold down or be removed.

Attachments

• IMG_9652.JPG
    IMG_9652.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9654.JPG
    IMG_9654.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9436.jpeg
    IMG_9436.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9230.jpeg
    IMG_9230.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9426.jpeg
    IMG_9426.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 23

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Great photos. Thanks! That lazaret "rail" for fender lines might get copied by a lot of other owners.
:egrin:

For a 'someday' project, you might consider adding "double bracing" to both gate stanchions. That's one of the best upgrades we have ever done to our boat.

paul's project

Great photos. Thanks! That lazaret "rail" for fender lines might get copied by a lot of other owners.

For a 'someday' project, you might consider adding "double bracing" to both gate stanchions. That's one of the best upgrades we have ever done to our boat.
Thanks Loren,
Mine are pretty sturdy but do you have a pic of the double bracing upgrade?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

Being able to grab a stanchion w/o fear of a cracked deck or broken/bent base, is an amazing upgrade to a boat. Any boat.

(I added forward braces to each side, at the gate, on our prior 26 footer, but the side loading was a constant worry when getting on or off and grabbing the gate stanchion to brace oneself.)

ibarreto

Hi Loren how did you add the extra bracing?