• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Origo Stove may be back in production

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Apropos of Whatever, I have walked the dock, the next morning after a propane explosion on a 36 foot sloop. The entire deck was peeled back and, at 180 degrees, was laying over the headwalk in front of the the moored boat. Kind of like the attached lid on a can that had a can opener applied to it. No fire, just a mighty explosion. Occupants lived, but suffered great injuries when the cabin sole (under which had accumulated the escaped propane gas) lifted straight up in the first millisecond of the blast.

While everyone "knows" the precautions to be observed with propane on a boat, seeing the result is memorable and sobering.
Alcohol? Yeah, it has some dangers too. Friend of mine was on another boat up in Puget Sound when the crew of a sailboat had to all jump over the side due to an uncontrolled galley fire caused by a a leak in their pressured galley stove.

While all fuels have dangers, I find that the small amount of common sense needed to use the no-pressure Origo stove puts it at the near-zero risk end of the scale. (We liked the propane system on our prior boat, but kept a vigilant and wary eye on the whole system of remote shut-off and the propane sensor & alarm. Tested it regularly.

We do have some rum on board.... medicinal purposes, be assured :)

Apropos of your apropos of Whatever: https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/sailing-skills/crash-test-boat-gas-explosion-29779

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Alcohol? Yeah, it has some dangers too. Friend of mine was on another boat up in Puget Sound when the crew of a sailboat had to all jump over the side due to an uncontrolled galley fire caused by a a leak in their pressured galley stove.
Emphasis added.

Pressurized and unpressurized are radically different.

[I know that YOU know that, Loren. But for some reason many fail to make that crucial distinction.]

Last edited:

Jonathan G.

Member I
I have also happened upon a stove available in Scandinavia called the Oriondo 3000. The maker has made some quite obvious changes to the look of this unit, but the fuel canisters look identical. But it appears that the vendors only offer shipping within the country.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
I know that YOU know that, Loren. But for some reason many fail to make that crucial distinction.]
Many, but not all…in one you’re pumping it through a burner and in the other you’re essentially dumping it into an open container and lighting it.

Last edited:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Just picked up an un-used Oringo 3000 stovetop on Craig's List. Apparently it came from a Catalina 22 that is now being raced and the owner decided to part with it! So that's another possible source of these stoves if you are looking for one.