Plywood tabernacle for E29T mast

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I am building a tabernacle for my E 29T and would like the opinion of this group. I am including pictures of a plywood prototype with the mast step mounted.

I plan to cut the stand pipe out of the mast step and a matching hole in the top plate to allow wiring and the stand pipe that will be mounted in the lower plate to pass through as the mast is raised.

All will be made of ½ “ aluminum with a ½ “ SS hinge pin. I am thinking of a plate to go in the original mast step to work as a backing plate to distribute the load on the step to the outer rim.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

The virtual six pack offer expires soon so respond quickly

Attachments

• tabernacle 001 mod.JPG
    tabernacle 001 mod.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 106
  • tabernacle 002 mod.JPG
    tabernacle 002 mod.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 131
  • tabernacle 003.jpg
    tabernacle 003.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 129

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
You might consider not having a fixed hinge pin like that because if the mast is not raised perfectly straight, or is moved a bit when it's down, I'd think the huge lever arm of the mast would make it pretty easy to damage the tabernacle or mast or deck.

How will the heel of the mast be kept on the step during raising?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
There will have to be bolts through the mast into the step. I figure about four 3/16". The basic design is form the E27 rigging diagram from this site. I plan to have a mast rest that will be at or above the center of the mast rather than support the mast from the bow pulpit. . I also will make angle braces to fasten to the shroud chain plates that have an eye inline with the hinge pin to attach two halyards to, to steady the mast and keep it centered. The hinge pin stress load is someting to be considered.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Sounds good. Those shrouds/halyards/whatever should really take the lateral stress of the tabernacle. Looks cool!

This will be for raising the mast when the boat's on a trailer?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Randy,
Are you having the tabernacle/hinge made up? I need to tabernacle a E27 and am interested in the cost of the hinge. Anyone know if the 27 and 29 use the spar profile?
Thanks, Mark
Ericson 23 mk1
Ericson 27

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Mark
The 27 has a teardrop shaped mast per the owners manual and the 29 has a flat sided with round front and back shape. The shape of the mast doesn’t matter if you use the original step as a mounting for the mast. As you can see in the picture I will be bolting the original step to the top plate of the tabernacle.

I am working with the shop and will be cutting the plate aluminum and shaping it. I think we are going to bolt the side plates on to the both bottom plates. I will let you know the hours and the material cost. We are welding a plate over the cutoff of the fuel tank (see fuel tank failure on E29 also drilling holes in mast head thread on this site).

I hope to get this thing in the water soon and try my new sails.