Portal sealing

Umbazooksus

I recently purchased an 1973 Ericson 29. I need to replace the rubber sealing that is installed around the circumference of the portal, they are leaking. Do I just find some closed cell foam or is there a replacement available.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Are you talking about non opening portlights or the opening ones?

Is this the gasket between the portlight and the boat or the portlight frame and the lens?

If you identify who made them(Bomar, Lewmar, etc) you may be able to get the replacement parts from them if it is the gasket between the portlight frame and the lens.

Last edited:

Umbazooksus

Thanks for the quick response! These are non-opening. I'm not sure of the name and I guess I didn't look close enough to see if both sides need replacing. I was inside the cabin when a quick inspection revealed cracked rubber type gaskets. I'm heading down to the marina today and will take a better look for name brand etc.

Ericsean

Member III
Fixed Port Gasket

So after scouring the internet, including this website, I could not find the rubber gasket material that seats the 1/8" glass in the aluminum frames for my fixed ports.

On a whim, I stopped by a Storefront manufacturer I was driving by , & went in with a piece of my old black gasket that I had taken out of one of my leaky ports. They had a perfect match, storm door gasket.

My gasket looked like a J, because one of the PO's must not have liked the black color, & trimmed of the lip that hung over the edge of the frame, and put a small bead of silicone there. (Do you think it leaked?) The replacement gasket was a U shape, with the exact depth and configuration. The fellow at the shop said I should't trim the lip. (No kidding). I let him know I wasn;t the culprit. More good news, he apologized because he only had grey, no black!

I can't beleive the wasted hours on the internet, searching for something, when the good old fashioned way of using local people was much quicker & easier. They charged me $1.ft, I would have payed 5 after my search.

I Plan to use grey butyl tape to seal between the fiberglass opening and the aluminum frame.

RobG

Member I
Select Plastics in Norwalk

They rebuild the Lewmar hatches as well as the fixed ports and should have the materials available. Give them a call. They are great to deal with. I just got my Lewmar hatches back and other than the aluminum needing a little cleaning (I should have done that before I sent them) they are just like new.
http://www.selectplastics.com/
Rob

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I had the same experience as Kevin. You should be able to find it locally.