• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Maine Sail

Member III
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=140954&referrerid=95405

Quite a "review" about the Flex-O-Fold prop.

This seems like a proper reference for this thread subject.

LB

And here's the follow up after the FOF was removed..

Folding Prop Is Gone (LINK)

Anyone interested in a basically new 2 blade Flex-O-Fold 16 X 12 RH prop for 1" shaft let me know.. I would suggest this only be fitted to shafts shorter than 45" and with 1X shaft diameter max overhang beyond the cutlass...

Disclaimer: It is my humble opinion that the vast majority of sailors tolerate FAR TO MUCH VIBRATION on their boats. Perhaps 90% of the sailboats boats I set foot on have what I consider to be 100% unacceptable levels of vibration. Some owners don't even notice it.

Sometimes people do make the attempts to rid the boat of vibrations by doing a complete drive line overhaul and making everything perfect. Despite the efforts they then install the prop that can actually induce vibration didn't even know it so accept vibrations as the "norm"..

I know you don't have to tolerate vibrations so was unwilling to accept the level of vibration the new Flex-O-Fold caused on our vessel. I can assure you it was far less vibration than most folks would even think twice about but to us it was 100% unacceptable..

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I can't find a "simple" answer to this apparently simple question:

At max hull speed, does the prop matter?

Meaning, you're blasting downwind in 25 knots, surfing down waves with a fixed three-blade drag bucket.

Would you be going a knot faster with a max prop?

At three knots speed, I get it. I'm just not sure about the hull speed factor.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
you're blasting downwind in 25 knots, surfing down waves with a fixed three-blade drag bucket.

My completely unscientific (and scotch-lubricated) guess is that it'll take a bit more effort to get to hull speed, and it'll be quicker to slow down in lulls, but... hull speed is hull speed.