• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

PSS for 38-200

Don Taugher

Member II
Just wondering if the a PSS shaft seal will fit the 38-200, mine was built in 1988. Any comments from existing users?

Thanks,

Don Taugher
Running Free
# 263

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Assuming the E38-200 has at least as much room there as the E34, it shouldn't be a problem. Don't be surprised if you need to replace the prop shaft due to polishing damage from the packing gland.

I put one on our boat last winter. If I had shortened the prop tube a little I probably could have kept the shaft by shifting the PSS seal a little aft, but I didn't want to mess with the prop tube. The PSS calls for a specific overlap on the prop tube and then compression of the PSS. When I did that the PSS seal O-rings precisely overlapped the worn shaft area, which is a no-no.

While you are at it I highly recommend the flexible coupler PSS sells from R&D Marine. I also replaced the cutless bearing so I don't know how much of the noise/vibration reduction comes from the coupler or the cutless, but it was dramatic. Since I was replacing the prop shaft anyway, I had it cut shorter to fit the extra coupler in. The new shaft was about $180. I haven't seen a drop of water from the seal either.

One thing that annoyed me about the R&D coupler was the grounding system. They recommended some kind of foil to jamm inside the synthetic coupling to connect the trans coupler to the shaft coupler. The foil wasn't in my kit either. The main issue I had is that the instructions said to periodically test the ground that the foil provides. Instead I ended up bolting a pair of short cables connecting the trans and shaft couplers where they bolt to the synthetic R&D coupler. There was just enough room to add the grounding cables without them hitting anything when the shaft turns. The cables are easy to inspect.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
PSS Seal

Having a 34 footer, I have no knowledge of the "fit issues" you might face... but we had a PSS seal installed when we did a major haulout soon after we bought out boat. That was about 1995.

Strictly FWIW, the one upgrade we cannot make happen is a CV Joint, because that requires a lot more room in front of the shaft log than we have available. :(

We needed a new coupler, and opted also for a new cutlass bearing. Shaft was fine, but was sent out for truing. No worries since, and a dry bilge. :)

I figured that I should approach the drive line components as a "system" and get everything done while the boat was already out of the water for a bottom job... (It is cheaper to combine jobs related the underwater bits, IMHO).

My .02,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I have a PSS in my E38. Came with the boat. Not too tight of a fit at all on mine. A picture would help you compare your -200 and my hull #20. This is the best one I can dig up, but I can take another one this weekend for you, from the side or above. The device is blurry in this one. I also have a prop saver between the transmission and the prop shaft flanges.

I read the PYI PSS instructions and the replacement interval is 6 years, no matter what. Inspect every year. I have not seen any leaks except when I burp it after dropping it back in the water after haulout.

Should I take that other picture for you?

Attachments

• NewHeatExchangerJuly2004-reduced-small.JPG
    NewHeatExchangerJuly2004-reduced-small.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 117

vbenn

Member III
I asked the yard to install both the PYI PSS and a flexible coupler on my 1997 E-380 (hull#22) and was told that neither would work because of the short distance between the coupling and shaft tube. Too bad - - I had these on my last boat and felt that they were well worth the $. I'd like to hear from any PSC E-380 owners if their experience is different.

Vince Benn
"Wild Blue"

Don
We had a PSS shaft log installed this past winter on our '87 38-200. Our engine is under the steps, & there was no issue about space for the log on our boat, but we did not look at the flex coupler, so I don't know how that would affect things. We did have to get a new shaft due to corrosion near the original flax packing on the old shaft, but I wish we had done it years ago, 'cause no more trying to work thru the access hatch & around the exhaust hose is worth it to me. The older I get, the more valuable "easier" is to me!