• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

PVC coated vs wire lifelines, yet again....

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have checked the archives, but still would appreciate more or updated information on advantages and disadvantages of coated vs. uncoated lifelines. The information I have so far says that uncoated is now required in offshore races due to concern that the PVC coated lifelines are more prone to rust and the rust can`t be seen. Also that insurance companies may eventually required uncoated wire for the same reason. As well, the uncoated lines are a bit cheaper, stay cleaner, can be more easily monitored for any `fishhooks`.

My wife is a bit concerned that the wire lifelines will be harder on the hands when going forward to the bow, and will be more uncomfortable when she is sitting with her feet hanging over the beam edge and leaning on the lifeline with her elbows up--one of her favourite postures in fair weather.

We are leaning towards the uncoated wire lifelines, but are wondering if there is anything we may be overlooking. Any opinions would be appreciated--I have read previous posts, but they focus more on the issue of having them done professionally vs. doing them ourselves. We have decided to have a rigging shop do them for us to ensure good quality.

Thanks,
Frank

Guy Stevens

Spectra

If you are not going to be offshore racing in a rules situation the best lifelines are now spliced spectra.

The end fittings are a little expensive, but in the long run it is a cheaper way of going.

Also if you fall against uncoated SS it kind of make your skin look like a brush with a cheese grater and feels about as good.

The spectra is aas strong and lighter, if you go with Amsteel or Endura coated it should according to all the manufactures last you about 10 years in this application. Of course you should inspect the lifelines every trip out for damage. They are called life lines for a reason.

They are what we suggest to almost all of our clients.

Guy
:)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
After several years of use, we still like our "bare" SS lifelines. On either side of the cockpit, where crew or the driver commonly lean back against the top line we have the loose fitting cushion covers.
Note that the discomfort factor is due to OD and not so much the material you lean against (smooth vinyl or smooth ss wire bundle). (Strictly IMHO)
Attached is a vendor picture of our Taylor brand "cushions."

I had these on the prior vinyl SS lifelines for that same comfort reasons, too.

Additionally, I have no quarrel with the idea of spectra lines, either!
As to having the vinyl-covered lines, I imagine that if more owners replaced their lines and fittings on a regular basis (preventative maintenance, what a concept!) , there would never be any concern about the integrity of the wires, in any case...
:(

Loren

Attachments

• taylc.jpg
    taylc.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:

FullTilt E28

Member III
Just replace with non covered

Just replaced our covered stuff with standard non covered life line wire. No difference other than the standard wire is not as visible and much easier to check for wear etc.

I will never own PVC covered life lines again! They are scary.

As for the high tech line alternate - its OK we use it on the race boat but sun degredation and the fact it does break when you least expect it - its not my preference for a large boat that sees lots of guests etc.

John Butler

Member II
We replaced our coated lifelines with uncoated lifelines at the beginning of this past season and have had no concerns so far.

John

spencer

Member II
pvc vs wire rope lifelines

I have checked the archives, but still would appreciate more or updated information on advantages and disadvantages of coated vs. uncoated lifelines. The information I have so far says that uncoated is now required in offshore races due to concern that the PVC coated lifelines are more prone to rust and the rust can`t be seen. Also that insurance companies may eventually required uncoated wire for the same reason. As well, the uncoated lines are a bit cheaper, stay cleaner, can be more easily monitored for any `fishhooks`.

My wife is a bit concerned that the wire lifelines will be harder on the hands when going forward to the bow, and will be more uncomfortable when she is sitting with her feet hanging over the beam edge and leaning on the lifeline with her elbows up--one of her favourite postures in fair weather.

We are leaning towards the uncoated wire lifelines, but are wondering if there is anything we may be overlooking. Any opinions would be appreciated--I have read previous posts, but they focus more on the issue of having them done professionally vs. doing them ourselves. We have decided to have a rigging shop do them for us to ensure good quality.

Thanks,
Frank

Two years ago we replaced our lifelines with pvc. At the time we did know that off shore rules require non covered wire rope. However we decided on pvc because of the protection they offer against wire rope "splinters". Having worked in the construction industry for many years I can verify that getting a piece of wire rope in your hand is not a pleasant feeling. Also pvc diameter is larger and will not cause an abrasion to your leg or arm as easy as the uncoated wire. My previous covered lifelines lasted over 10 years and the only reason we replaced them is because we had a hard time getting them to stay clean, especially in the spring after removing the winter storage canvas cover. As we boat in fresh water we dont have the corrosion problems you saltys do. good luck which ever way you go. Spencer

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Spectra But...

Guy is right Spectra or even better Dynex Dux. Actually much stronger than wire, kinder on the hands and skin. I have seen it out in the UV for 10 years and still be as strong, but its so cheap you can afford to replace it every 5 years if you are worried. But you cannot use it for racing. At least not uner the rules I have read. They all require stainless wire. Frankly stainless wire has no place on a modern boat IMHO. It crevis corrodes, it develops meat hooks, it does not like immersion in salt water. Dyneema my friends Dyneema. Take a look at Colligo Engineering for the Dynex applications.