Question on 30-foot models/hulls

therapidone

Member III
Does anyone have any idea as to whether the hull used in the 30+ (I BELIEVE, but I'm not sure, that this model is also listed as Ericson 30 III) models was the same hull designed for the original Ericson 30-foot model? I'm trying to tie down if the design of the hull for the 30+ came before 1975! Good Old Boat sponsors a race for which all boats must have hulls designed in 1975 or earlier.

therapidone

Member III
q on E-30 hull

I think I was able to find the answer to my own question! I ck'd the Ericson docs and specs for E-30s. The one listed as an ad for the 1968 E-30 is supposed to also have specs, but I sure didn't see any!

However, the brochure for the "original" E-30 tiller model does show specs and the LOA, LWL, and Beam are all different than those of the E/30+

This probably means that the hull was NOT designed prior to or during 1975...a rqrmnt for entering the Good Old Boat races in Oct near Annapolis.

If ANYONE has any info to the contrary, I'd love to hear about it.

Regards,

Ed

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, I believe that the "original" Ericson 26, 30, and 35 were are designed in the (late?) 60's. They are quite different in appearance from the later ones.
In the late 70's and early 80's came the E-30-2 and E-30+
I do not know the dates of these designs.

Loren

therapidone

Member III
Greetings Loren,

It seems that the most knowledgeable Ericson folks (people like yourself) pop up in the most valuable Ericson information locations...I have noticed your posts on the Sailnet Ericson list quite a few times. I'm a relative newcomer to posting here, although I did "register" our boat awhile back.

From two sketchy sources, one of which isn't all that sketchy as it's the brochure for the wheel-steering model of an Ericson/30 appearing on this site, I believe that the original E/30 was quite a bit narrower in the beam (9' x") vs. the E/30 II and the E/30+. The brochure on this site for the E/30 (and, I'm assuming this is for the E/30 II, which, according to someone else's post on this site in a different thread, began production with a 1977 model) has a beam of 10' 5". According to the brochure available on this site, the E/30+ has a beam of 10'6". This makes me wonder whether they are REALLY different--it seems very unlikely to me that a yacht manufacturer would create a new mold for one extra inch of beam. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on info that can establish the E/30+ hull design predates 1975.

Below is a selective excerpt from that post by Rico as a reply on the E-34t history thread...I am hoping that if you read this, you take the time to look over this excerpt and let me know whether these dates coincide with any information that you might have so that I can establish some degree of confidence in them. Rico doesn't say where he came up with these figures...plus, if it's not cut & paste, there's always the chance of typos.

Regards,

Ed

Model Number Hull and Year

E/30 - I #1 (1966) thru #150
(1970)
E/30 - II #1 (1977) thru
#47 (1979)
E/31 - I (c) #1 (1976) thru
#27 (1978)
E/31 - II (Ind. 31) #28 (1978) thru
#71 (1981)
E/28 - II #600 (1985) thru # ?
E/30 - III #501 (1979) thru # ?
E/32 - III #601 (1985) thru # ?

escapade

Inactive Member
They are all different boats! The original is rather narrow, (60's design), the 70's design was a masthead rig w/transome hung rudder, and the 30+ was a fractional rig w/spade rudder & delta wing keel (the fastest of the 3). Ericson made a LOT of different hull configurations as opposed to Catalina (e.g. 27, 30, & 36) who made thousands of boats of the same design. Ericson's largest production run was the 27 I believe. Made for a lot of interesting designs but not real cost effective for production. Hope this answers some questions. Bud E34 "Escapade"

therapidone

Member III
Greetings Bud (Escapade),

I knew about the differences in where the rudder was and differences in masthead vs. fractional riggings between the two 30-foot models that came after the original. What I was hoping to clarify was whether the design(s) of the hulls for the latter two 30s were the same or different. They have the same or nearly the same dimensions listed in a variety of sources. Assuming that I was able to determine that they WERE the same, my next step was to attempt to tie down when the hull was designed for the E/30 II. If it preceded 1975, I can enter my E/30+ in the races!

However, there are several pieces of information that you supplied about which I was unaware for the E/30+: specifically, the rudder and fin shapes/designs and the fact that among the 3, it was the fastest. We had some very good wind on the Chesapeake Bay late yesterday afternoon and into the early evening (15 - 19 kts). This, in itself, is rather remarkable for this time of the year when we can expect to have light to no winds! With the headsail roller-furled to present what amounted to a storm jim, Spirit clocked 6.6 knots on a close reach and when the waves started pushing the boat from the aft-port, we surfed over 7.2 at times:egrin: !

Regards,

Ed

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
See my reply to the 28+ guy trying to verify what he has-The 30+ is a direct descendant of the 30III.