• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replace teak handrails with alternative

gargrag

Member II
Hi folks

Today we replaced the rotten teak rails of our E25+ companionway doors with some leftover starboard from a previous project.
We are now considering whether we should replace the rails for the companionway hatch, and the handrails with some alternative, like stainless or HDPE like starboard.

I see that online, there are options for plastic handrails, but the ones on the E25+ follow. a curved line

Has anyone tried this replacement on a similar boat? any ideas?

IMG_4236.jpeg

kapnkd

kapnkd
If you’re talking about the “PlasTeak” ones yes.

We put them on our ‘73 E-32 which also has a slight curve to the handrail. The material took the bend without a problem on our boat.9093EC35-5444-4905-91A5-609A11878922.jpeg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
which ones did you buy? or custom made?
I pondered buying some ready made ones, and had seen them on another O-34 (Ericson built). I decided that I wanted to keep the same loop spacing - personal preference.
A ship wright friend built a jig and the ss oval was sourced. All was welded and polished out to a mirror finish.

I believe that one of the longer versions from Fisheries was what was on the other boat.

No 'wrong' answers to this question... just choices and options.
And, a part of our refit goal was to eliminate ALL external wood. I have done decades of teak refinishing, and have no further philosophy that I desire to learn from it. ("Wax on , wax off!")
:)

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks! they look pretty, I'm talking about the plasteaks and there are others made from starboard marine
One caution about *any* cast plastic product (trademark not the primary factor) for this. Without fiber reinforcing, it will yield under enough force. First a crack, then a break. It probably will serve for XX years, but UV degradation will accrue, and there is no internal fiber to give tensile strength. Note that this is only an opinion. Anyone purchasing a cast or machined plastic hand rail should ask the vendor what sort of warranty accompanies it. (IMO)

Last edited:

jtsai

Member III
Just wondering how are Ericson's hand rails attached to the cabin? Are they through bolted and mated with hand rails in the cabin? Is this a maintenance item?

My last boat was a Sabre 28 and the hand rails were attached at the factory with long screws without over-drilling and back-fill with epoxy. Water found its way to the deck balsa core once the sealant on the hand rail bases aged. Sabfe did everything right with the boat except this and the mast step prone to rot.

Parrothead

Member III
There's a sort of sadness to this thread.

I get it, exterior teak maintenance is a lot of work to keep it attractive and as the saying goes, I'd rather be sailing. However, there's an elegant beauty to the original look of boats of our era and exterior teak is a big part of it. It's not unlike the curves the designers provided as opposed to so many current designs with straight lines.

I like the look of teak. I like the idea that at the time of the construction of our vintage boats natural, old growth teak came from only one place in the world, Burma. It's not the same as later era plantation teak. I like it enough that I prefer it finished bright with high gloss varnish. So what is a sailor to do? Back a few decades ago when I owned my Westsail 32 (TONS of exterior teak) there were two local ladies who had a professional varnishing business with the added bonus of working in bikinis. They had quite the backlog of work but it was not an option for me according to the admiral. Maintain it myself? I did but it was a lot of work. Constantly. Never ending.

On my current boat I removed all the exterior teak and brought it home for refinishing with power sanders and spray equipment, as many coats as I wanted and no masking or spillage. After reinstalling it has been covered when the boat is idle in the slip. That was 8 years ago with maybe 2 maintenance coats since. Now I have the look I like without the maintenance.

Companionway cover.jpgCompanionway teak.jpgHandrail and seahood rail covers.jpgHandrail and seahood rail teak.jpg

Last edited:
There's a sort of sadness to this thread.

I get it, exterior teak maintenance is a lot of work to keep it attractive and as the saying goes, I'd rather be sailing. However, there's an elegant beauty to the original look of boats of our era and exterior teak is a big part of it. It's not unlike the curves the designers provided as opposed to so many current designs with straight lines.

I like the look of teak. I like the idea that at the time of the construction of our vintage boats natural, old growth teak came from only one place in the world, Burma. It's not the same as later era plantation teak. I like it enough that I prefer it finished bright with high gloss varnish. So what is a sailor to do? Back a few decades ago when I owned my Westsail 32 (TONS of exterior teak) there were two local ladies who had a professional varnishing business with the added bonus of working in bikinis. They had quite the backlog of work but it was not an option for me according to the admiral. Maintain it myself? I did but it was a lot of work. Constantly. Never ending.

On my current boat I removed all the exterior teak and brought it home for refinishing with power sanders and spray equipment, as many coats as I wanted and no masking or spillage. After reinstalling it has been covered when the boat is idle in the slip. That was 8 years ago with maybe 2 maintenance coats since. Now I have the look I like without the maintenance.

View attachment 42535View attachment 42536View attachment 42537View attachment 42538
Forget the teak (which is gorgeous)!
You need covers for your covers!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I have not yet replaced those drop-board rails (from the OP), but they are looking a little old and tired. One recommendation I've seen is to replace them with stainless U-channel, so that one can then drop (custom) steel bars in, for ventilation and security. Certainly more robust, but might not look very attractive. One could cover it with decorative trim.
companionway bars.jpg

I am still hoping to devise hinged doors to replace the drop-boards but project time is running out.