• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacement deck fill caps

Brookelise

Member II
Has anyone ever found a place that sells replacement caps for deck fills for Ericsons? The replacement caps from West Marine and so on don't fit (wrong threads). We'd like to have a spare one handy. We have an 80s E34. If a cap did get lost, the only solution would seem to be getting a new deck fill & cap.

Thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
After quite a search on the 'net, I found some, from Hood Yacht Systems, that "look like" ours. Our factory stock ones have the winch handle socket in the top. http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.n...1c950dcb9cf49e60852567ca0060701a?OpenDocument

Ericson must bought a case of the winch handle "key" versions in 1988 ! :)

This spring I replaced both of our deck plates, diesel and waste, with new SS ones from Scandvik. I like the built-in flip up keys -- no need for a separate key or handle.

I admit that I never have tried to measure the threads on the old ones...

Loren

Attachments

• 0.gif
    0.gif
    45.5 KB · Views: 935
Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Brooke - FWIW, on my 1987 E-34 the deck fills are standard pipe threads. 1 1/4 - 11.5 thds/in.

Home Depot PVC plug works in pinch if you can afford the fifty cents. :cool: Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.

I know there are some other threads out there. :mad:

Brookelise

Member II
Anchor roller detent pin

And speaking of dropping a winch handle in the drink, I lost a 5-inch anchor roller detent pin (what West Marine calls a fastpin) in 14 feet of water in Marion harbor; Poseidon evidently required one. I found a good place to get them: www.mcmaster.com. They're the ball-locking pins that keep the anchor from possibly lifting out of the roller in heavy seas -- and shorter ones hold the chain. McMaster sells a wide variety of them in stainless steel, and they're cheap, too.

A lost detent pin touches off a battle in Marion harbor on July 3:

Attachments

• mariond7308.jpg
    mariond7308.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Deck fill caps

The deck fill caps from Hood Yacht System have the proper thread but are very expensive. Dan Callen Ericson32-3 Andiamo

cawinter

Member III
the cap

No luck on my end either. I tried a while back in tons of places after one of mine was STOLEN (!) without much success.

Turned out one of my students had a machine shop and fabricated a new one out of marine SS for me. I guess I should have asked for a few more...

Akavishon

Member III
'86 E32-3 diesel deck fill cap

End of a great season ... with only a few days left before winter haul-out, Poseidon has snatched away the stainless cap on my diesel deck fill fitting. As I was filling her up, the little chain holding the cap to the fitting snapped and I watched in horror as the cap disappeared in the water.

Does anyone know what manufacturer/dimension Ericson used for the deck fill fittings on the mid-80s E32?

TIA, Zoran

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Deck fill cap

Try Hood Yacht Systems. Same thing happened to me and they had the original cap which takes the winch handle to loosen. Expensive but I did not have to change the entire fitting. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
As I pointed out earlier in this thread, some 80's E-boats (my '87 E-34 for example) had deck fills with standard pipe threads. Don't get too excited until you determine that the standard caps won't work for you.

The standard caps are available at any chandlery.