• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacement gasoline tank for Ericson 32?

tenders

Innocent Bystander
My 1991 painted steel fuel tank gave up the ghost today a week before launch...pinhole leak dumped about four gallons of gas into the bilge (and destroyed the shaft seal, another project...certainly a blessing in disguise that it didn't happen at the mooring.)

The original tank is 10" high by 24 inches wide by 20 inches deep (20.7 gallons). I'd like to replace it with a polyethylene tank if possible. Moeller makes one that's two inches higher, and with other geometry significantly different from mine--with the large fuel fill off to the side instead of right in the middle of the 24" edge.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=11809&NEXTAG#

I don't think it will fit in through the lazarette or be able to be connected properly to the deck fill.

Are custom polyethylene tanks a viable alternative? I can't seem to find any online.

Assuming they aren't, is aluminum a better gas tank material than than steel?

Thoughts/rants/raves/snide remarks welcomed!

tenders
1969 Ericson 32 #112
City Island, NY

Last edited:

clayton

Member III
Gas tank

Have you checked Defender? They carry several plastic fuel tanks in varying sizes. Also check with Ronco Plastics in California 714-259-1385, www.ronco-plastics.net They make holding tanks, chemical tanks, etc. and do custom sizes. Good luck.
Clayton

jkm

Member III
Here in Southern California a new beast has started to show it's fangs-

It appears that the blend that is being used for gas is eating away at plastic tanks. The blended gas also tends to separate over time so if you use very little fuel you will need to consider a stablizer.

I noticed an ad recently for a company that specializes in replacing replacement plastic tanks.

I try to buy AVGAS for my Atomic 4 which is leaded and pure fuel.

John

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
After having a custom water tank built in SS, I wonder if this material might be OK for your gas engine.
The shop that build the SS tank did brewery work and other high-end welding and forming, FWIW.

There are bound to be some attractions and some drawbacks to any material that you choose...

Given the odd chemical makeup of gasoline (and even the newest formulations of diesel fuel), I wonder if any sort of plastic tank is going to be advisable in the long run?
:rolleyes:

I do have an aluminum diesel fuel tank, and have always been told that alum. is preferred for diesel. Steel has often been mentioned as the right material for gasoline, so it makes me wonder if SS would be just as good. (?)

Loren

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Defender carries some of the Moeller tanks but I don't think Moeller makes a "stock" tank that is the correct size.

Ronco Plastics doesn't want their tanks used for fuel.

I had been attracted to polyethylene for its light weight and resistance to corrosion but perhaps stainless is a better tradeoff given the issues with gasoline formulations.

I will look into this -- come to think of it our club has a member who makes giant stainless tanks for the beer brewing industry.

Thanks!
tenders

Matey

Member III
E32 Fuel Tank

tenders,

What tank did you end up going with ? I just pulled the original steel tank from my 32 and plan to replace it. It just fit out of the stbd. cockpit hatch. I'm interested in the Moeller as well.
I'd also looked at these in Aluminum . http://www.marine-fueltank.com/tank045.htm

Regards, Greg

Attachments

• Moeller 23 gal. fuel.jpg
    Moeller 23 gal. fuel.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 18 gal aluminum fuel.jpg
    18 gal aluminum fuel.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 69

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Yup, mine slid right out through the starboard hatch too -- a 10-minute job. The new one went from sitting in the cockpit to getting filled with fuel in 45 minutes.

One of my fellow club members ended up making me what is probably the nicest stainless fuel tank ever installed in any Ericson 32. It was ridiculously expensive, several hundred dollars more than an aluminum tank, but it was made in two days, hand-delivered to the club, and will last 100 years, at which point my great-great-grandchildren will donate it to the Smithsonian. (Note to self: must call attorney to update will about this.)

I hadn't run into the company in your link but something like that would have been my second choice. There's a similar company in New Jersey, much closer to me than New Orleans, that makes custom aluminum tanks.

I have a drawing of my tank made in PowerPoint that my fabricator was pleased with. It's nothing fancy but if you want a copy send me your email address.

Matey

Member III
Tank drawing

Tenders,

I'm leaning hard toward a plastic tank but would like to see your drawing and get an estimate out here. I have a few months it's looking like. I think I'll pull my engine and deal with corroded motor mounts and engine beds while I have a bit more room. I saw a post where you had a bed replaced with stainless. Do you have any info or pictures of it ? They would be real helpful.

Thanks, Greg
gregrohde@gmail.com

tenders

Innocent Bystander
OK, the first attachment is a PDF and the second is a zipped PowerPoint in case you want to modify it. I didn't realize I could post zipped PowerPoints.

My original tank was steel, which lasted in Southern California from 1969 to 1991.

The first replacement was also steel, which lasted from 1991 to 2008 -- four years in SoCal and the rest in the Northeast (Great Lakes and NYC).

The second replacement is stainless.

Attachments

• 2008-05-19 Ericson 32 Fuel Tank Drawing.pdf
    71 KB · Views: 66
  • 2008-05-19 Ericson 32 Fuel Tank Drawing.ppt.zip
    39.2 KB · Views: 55

chaco

Member III
Go Welded Aluminum !

Sorry Guys.... Permanent plastic Fuel Tanks do not belong on Sailboats.
Ask around your Yard. Would you want anything less than what the Commercial Boats are using ?

Matey

Member III
Fuel tanks

Chaco,

Thanks for the input. What is the knock ? I can't find anything .. although people tend to not like them .. I have'nt heard why.

Tenders,

Thanks for the drawings. I appreciate it

Regards, Greg

tenders

Innocent Bystander
The knocks are that they are somewhat more susceptible to failures and punctures due to abrasion, heat/fire, the corrosive effect of gasoline on plastic, vapor pressure, and can become brittle and crack over time and with exposure to UV.

Not all of these are particular concerns for a sailboat installation but some of them sure are.

Here's the thing, though. I've had two steel tanks actually fail due to a reason that a plastic tank would not have succumbed to: simple corrosion from water. The second failure could have been catastrophic as it dissolved the rubber in my shaft seal.

So I guess the conclusion is that tanks made of many materials simply don't have infinite lives and every material is the sum of a set of compromises between costs, risks, lifespan, and availability.

In my opinion the hierarchy for fuel tanks is steel < plastic < aluminum < stainless < monel.

chaco

Member III
Marine Fuel Tanks

The Diesel Fuel Tank on the 74' E35II was welded Monel (steel). After 35 years the Tank started leaking from chafing on the corners where it rubbed on the Hull. I pulled the inspection Port and the Tank was FULL of rust above the normal (half full) line and pitted through right at the fuel line from condensation. Replaced the Tank with Welded 5086 3/16" Aluminum recommended by the Builder. Research with other Commercial Builders recommends the SAME Fuel Tank for Marine Gasoline application. Aluminum is the Tank of Choice because it has more flexibilty under stress and resists cracking better than Stainless Steel. Aluminum is also lighter than SS. Plastic Tanks will NOT hold up to current Fuel Blends and does not have the structural strength to hold up during stress (pitching seas). Call around to your local Marine Welding Shops and get the Facts from them.... and then make your decision.

Happy Fuel Tank

Matey

Member III
Fuel tanks

Thanks for the input..

As Tenders said, every material seems to have an Achilles heal of sorts. I'm leaning to aluminum but still pondering.

Thanks too .. for the link to your's Chaco. Nice installation.

Regards, Greg