Replacing ammeter for voltmeter gauge...question

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Searched but no can find. What is the size of the gauge (E35-3)..may be the same for all Ericson panels? I went to Defender and they show 2", 2-1/16", 2-1/8". My boat is on the hard at the marina and not accessible to measure. I will also buy the gauge with the matching sending unit. Thanks folks!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When our original EY-installed Newmar panel meter finally stopped working, I bought an exact replacement (expanded scale 8 - 16 volts DC).
While I have more advanced meters/readouts that give more detailed information, this is, IMHO, a basic measurement device not dependent on microchips or external power supplies.

There is no "sending" attachment. This needs only a pos. and neg. connection to the battery bank.

Note that our stock panel had a factory amp gauge that was reading off of a small shunt mounted on the DC feed on that same panel.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My guess is that the stock panel takes a so-called 2" voltmeter ( it did on my 32-3 and others). Since the recommended hole size is something like 2 1/8 or 2.13, they may all actually be the same diameter in fact.

But of course, no way to be sure without measuring your boat....

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I replaced the gauges on our cockpit panel with Faria brand gauges--they looked similar to the originals, are easy to read, seem very accurate, were inexpensive and fit right into the existing holes, and wiring connections were easy. I would recommend them, based on my experience.
Frank