Replacing mast cleat

Don Nelson

Inactive Member
I need to replace a mast cleat which appears to have been pulled off the mast and unfortunately damaged the attachment holes. I was thinking of trying to find some blind nuts to put in the holes (assuming I can find the proper dimensions). Does any one have any ideas of pehaps how to repair the holes or a source of blind nuts suitable for spars.

E23-2

Thanks

Don

Mike Thomas

Member II
Don,
Is the mast/boom off the boat? I only ask because of you can get a heavy aluminum backing plate behind it then you may be able to use the same holes. Typically welding is not an option and it sounds like the original holes have corroded out. When I rebuilt my mast/boom I filled in all of the old holes with expoy and painted the spars. I don’t think I would trust any type of blind nut on a cleat. Some day that thing is going to take a load. Hopefully not a “mission critical” load if you use blind nuts.

Mike T
E-29

Don Nelson

Inactive Member
Mast is off

Thanks for the idea. I will see if I can reach far enough inside the mast to put a backing plate or large washers and nuts on the cleat screws.

Don

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
might be easiest to make a stainless backing plate and drill and tap it with the pattern of your cleat. That way you can tighten everything fairly easily, even if you don't have access to the inside of the mast (you have to get it in there of course). But once it's close you can use a wire hanger and tools to get it close enough to start the first bolt, and from there it's smooth sailing.

When you make up the plate, you could cut a piece of milk-bottle plastic to isolate the steel from the aluminum, and glue that on with a dab of something in the center, so it doesn't wander during the bolting process.