Repower an E27 or an E29 survey

Dave Hussey

Member III
Query: what engine to repower an E27 or an E29

No one has commented on this question so far:esad:...
If you have an E27 or an E29:
Please tell us what auxiliary you have.
What RPM do you get the best performance at.
What is your speed over the ground at that rpm.
What diameter , pitch and number of blades you have.

I have an old MD6B Volvo diesel which is rated as 10 hp. My recent change to a three blade bronze Michigan prop (11x6 ) might have been too agressive because the maximum rpm I can achieve now is 1200 with 4 to 5 knots over the ground...whereas the takeoff was a two blade 10-1/2 x 5 and the poor little stink pot screamed at 2200 rpm to make hull speed (6 knots).

please offer your information...this could be a valuable resource for anyone thinking about repowering!.

The only advice I can offer for repower is to keep with a clockwise turning propellor....my Volvo is CCW and this creates horrible steering issues with the offset shaft on the E27.:esad:

Last edited:

frick

Member III
repowered my e29

Greetings,

I am not sure if you are still interested as your post is now rather old.

3 years ago I re-powered my 1971 e29 with a Yanmar GM20F. It is not a cheap thing to do... I was able to keep the cost done by doing a great deal of my own work, and by having a good friend in the busyness... even at that the new Yanmar was $6500. (it comes with most all the controls) I also had to upsize my shaft to a one inch, but it did fit into the tube. My Prop is a two bladed RH14 X 12. I had a Martec with the Atomic 4, and saved a few dollars by going to a two bladed prop. By the time I was down I spend $7300 is materials.

In the end I would do it again, because I really like my boat.

Rick
Sailing the Great South Bay

Dave Hussey

Member III
I'm greatful for the reply. When you increased the shaft size, (was this required due to the engine horsepower?) how did you deal with the cutless...was a 1 inch inside diameter readily available that fit the strut or did you have to have one custom machined? Did the YanMar fit the engine compartment without remodeling the interior?
I now know that my wife would never approve of the cost to repower since it would nearly double the cost of the boat so all I can do is pray that my Volvo keeps on chugging. I am starting to research a reversing gearbox to change the rotation of the propellor in forward gear...I wonder if such a device is manufactured...or can a diesel be made to run in the opposite direction? just thinking outloud.:egrin: Oh well, I keep telling myself, its a boat...A $ail boat at that!:egrin:

frick

Member III
repowering the 29

Greetings,

The old atomic 4 turned as 12X6 prop. The Diesel turns as 14X12 which means it is slower turning, but has a great deal more torque. The Manufacturer and my prop guy said that this was a necessary change. The larger cutlass bearing fit perfectly into the existing strut.

The Yanmar fit perfectly into the same space as the A4 except that it sits a bit taller and is lighter. I hand to build a box top to go over the engine, but that has not proved to be a problem.

It was bit of money, but it was sure cheaper than another boat! It also gave me huge reliability, and it extends my motoring range. The A4 used a gallon and hour and the yanmar uses only about a 1/3 gallon an hour.

rick+
Sailing the Great South Bay of Long Island
E-29 - Leviathan