sea water intake poll

Dave Hussey

Member III
Hi folks,
I was wondering, after searching the list for clues, what kind of sea water thru-hulls are mounted on the different Ericsons for engine cooling intake...

Do you have a scoop with slits, or a mushroom type, (or a countersunk type)....and....how deep below the waterline, and where is it located.

Why? because I was thinking of re-locating mine, but have not had her out of the water nor been under the hull to see what to buy., Also, some folks mentioned they had overheating problems when heeled over, or in a rough seaway...maybe the raw water pickup comes out of the water???

My E27 has the pickup on the port side, about 12" below the waterline...and I think it would be out of the water if on a port tack...I do not know what type of through hull I have.

Looking forward to the answers.

Glyn Judson

Dave, I have a round, slitted Buck Algonquin cover attached with three bronze screws to a matching 3/4" through hull fitting. Inside is a plywood pad covered with three coats of West #105. Atop that is an Apollo 3/4" seacock with USCG approved black hose leading to a sea strainer and then to the engine. I'd say that the through hull is close to 18" below the waterline. Glyn

Emerald

On both my prior E-27 and Emerald they had 1/2 inch intake with an exterior cover. The E-27 was a flush mounted thru-hull and it had a round cover screwed to the hull with small round holes. Emerald (Independence 31) had a 1/2 inch fitting with an external slotted strainer that was one with the thru-hull fitting itself.

In both cases, I removed the 1/2 inch fittings and upgraded to 3/4 inch thru-hulls with a proper full flanged seacock that is tight against the backing pad/hull. For filtration, I installed one of the Groco ARG fresh water strainers as seen here:

http://www.groco.net/images/strainers/strainers-ARG.html

of note, I have not yet had a problem with the water intake coming out on me under power - if I am healing enough to pull it out, I guess I am always under sail at that point :egrin:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
On my E38 I have a 3/4" plain flush-fitting bronze thru-hull screwed into a Groco flanged seacock. All debris should be caught by the Perko sea strainer just upstream. The thru-hull is at least 18" underwater when upright and the boat would have to be heeled way over to expose it. We would be under sail at that point anyway. RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here are a couple of prior threads on this subject. After several years I still like the nice design of my Groco strainer. :)
I would note the factory engine intake location was under the galley sink. I relocated it aft, just behind the engine bed, and closer to the centerline. (The factory setup had just the thruhull intake with no filtering at all, BTW.) :(

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=551&referrerid=28

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=1944&referrerid=28

If you use a term like "raw water strainer" in your search, there are quite a few threads with information.

Best,
Loren
1988 Olson 34

Last edited:

Tom Prince

The water intake on my E27 was against the bulkhead and I moved it back closer to the thru hull for the sink drain. It was almost unreachable in the old location. I replaced the old unit with an Apollo flanged seacock and added a Groco filter inline. Actually replaced all the old units as they were original and way overdue for upgrade.

Tom
E27 Holomoku

Dave Hussey

Member III
Loren,
that is a nice looking setup. ... seems like a good location for the water intake too (close to the center line).

As someone noted, one would be sailing if heeling enough to roll the intake out of the water, but a legitimate reason to have the engine running might be to charge the batteries while sailing.

I intend to locate a new water pickup in the quarterberth storage area on my E27 as close to the centerline as possible. The existing location under the galley is only reachable if I get my head and right arm under the sink and stretch to reach it...not very conducive to properly shutting the seacock after each use.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Running the engine to charge the batteries is not the best idea if that is all you are doing. There is not enough of a load on the engine and it will carbon up from running too cool. Motorsailing is another issue but I find it unlikely that with that much wind you would have the engine running. A better solution would be a small portable generator like the little Honda units or a better alternator setup like a Balmar with regulator to minimize charging times. RT

Dave Hussey

Member III
Thanks, everyone for your responses. It sounds like a mushroom headed through hull inlet fitting, mounted as close to the centerline of the hull as practical, and a strainer should suffice.

Please correct me if the following assumption is wrong: those slotted scoop type inlets aren't necessary for sail boats, because the water flowing past at 5 or 6 knots is hopefully not enough flow to cause a siphon effect (Bernouli effect) and reverse or slow the flow in the (.75") inlet, right?

Thanks,
Dave Hussey

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The problem with the external slotted casting on the intake lies more in their filling up with sea flora and fauna and then causing you to have to dive or have a haul-out to clear them. As you point out, water movement over them at displacement hull speeds would be a non-issue.

"YMMV."

Best,
Loren

Dave Hussey

Member III
Thanks Loren.
I was thinking the same thing regarding the scoop being a perfect little home for creatures of the sea, and I would rather not give them that opportunity:egrin: .

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
More screening area is a good thing

I would want the larger surface area of the screen in the larger Groco bronze version. Alas, it will cost the better part of a BUC, however.

Loren

HGSail

Member III
I have the first one that you are showing (plastic) and I haven't had any problems sence I installed it 12 years ago.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Emerald

Go with the Groco bronze strainer, you won't regret it in the long run, but buy it from Hamilton Marine and save yourself a bunch of boat bucks - I'm seeing about $109 at Hamilton (plastic strainer, not monel, either will serve you fine and you can put either one in the same body) versus $172 at Jamestown - yikes, Jamestown's pricing has gone through the roof!:

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,10542.html

and just a nice aside on buying Groco. I had a factory tour last winter. That strainer is made here in the USA! The plastic housing is coming from Aberdeen Maryland, the bronze is coming from a foundry in Pennsylvania. The assembly and machining is being done at the factory in Hanover Maryland where I got my tour. In full disclosure though, I got the tour as I was exchanging recalled seacocks. It turns out that their "value" line aka tthe least expensive seacocks, are made offshore. As of last spring, it was the only item of theirs that was made offshore. Their more expensive seacocks were coming from the same foundry as the strainers in PA. Just thought I'd pass it along, as I like knowing where my stuff comes from in today's world.

Last edited:

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Sea Water Intake

I recently repowered but didn't change the Sea Water Intake at the time, I now have a 3/4" Wilcox Crittenden flanged seacock that will be installed with a large slotted exterior strainer. I will be replacing a thruhull that has a fixed slootted cover. And I do have an inline strainer as well. As with the other Independence 31s' mine is underneath the gally sink, does require some effort to reach it and I would guess the thruhull would be at least 18" below the waterline.
I intend to make the exterior bronze strainer removable, possibly using thumb Screws if I can find them in bronze. After an experience with a serious bloom of Mussels I like the idea of being able to get the strainer off while afloat or/ and, to be able to apply antifouling on the inlet mushroom and beneath the strainer when doing the bottom.
Only recourse I had with the Mussel infestation while afloat was to disconnect at the in-line strainer and blast the critters out with an air compressor.
Speaking of pressure, further overcoming the Benouli effect is the constant static pressure from having the thruhull an atmosphere or two below the surface.
Recommend you consider a removable strainer cover rather then the permanently fixed style, as above.

Matey

Member III
Strainer

Yea .. I'm liking the looks & features of the Groco.

Thanks for the advise.

Regards, Greg