• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Setting off around the world!

p.gazibara

Member III
Fun update, will be looking at a 45' cruising boat tonight/tomorrow. Current owners have had her for ~40 years and zig zagged her all around the Pacific. Last time they went E they did via Japan. The current owners have done two reifts on her over the years and she is sitting due for a third. They have moved ashore and bought a house. In our brief phone chat, he tried to get me to crew a Catana 43 with him back from Fiji. Perhaps if I was in a different point in my life. When I think about going to Fiji, I can only imagine hooking into a kite and surfing those magical tropical waves all day long. Dawning foulies and sailing South doesn't quite sound like vacation :cool:

Ava, Coco, and I had a walk down the dock to have a look at the boat. The ink on the for sale sign has nearly faded off. The paint is coming off the deck everywhere, she needs new rigging, but under that she is a beautiful boat with nice classic lines, not unsimilar to Cinderella. We didn't even think she was 45'! She is vastly different from modern 45'ers. Low freeboard, and less than 12' of beam. I keep hearing the same echo ringing in my ears that I did when offered on Cinderella "I don't want another project boat."

Kismet was designed by Van De Stadt for the first Capetown to Rio race. The design was done for both GRP and steel, this boat is a GRP version, the design is called an Algulhas 45. I could not find much on them, but she was launched in 69' in SA, two years earlier than Cinderella. She sports a modified fin keel and a spade rudder. Underwater looks very E35ish, maybe a bit more surfy in the stern as I don't think she has the bustle. Low freeboard, wide side decks, aft cabin, hard dodger, simple single spreader rig, lots to like about the boat to be honest. If she was tiller steered she might just be perfect...

I'm hoping to find the next boat sooner rather than later. Staying aboard in Whangarei has us thinking about adding other ammenities to Cinderella, hot water is high on the list. Hard to save for the new boat if we keep putting money into Cinderella! This after spending nearly $1k replacing the lifelines and adding netting to keep the little crewmember aboard. And another $2.5K for the haul/survey/annual insurance. Happy to say that for the first time since I have owned Cinderella, she is comprehensively insured.

The new lifelifes are dyneema covered dyneema, the Category 1 offshore spec for NZ racing yachts. As far as I'm concerned, its probaly the most important safety item on the boat, next to life jackets. Worth every penny. Only issue is that splicing the stuff takes more than an hour per splice! Think of the milking step of doublebraid, but without the stretch of the doublebraid cover. However, with the dyneema cover, I imagine these will last several decades and never give you the "meat hook". Wish I would have covered our shrouds when I installed them, next time. If we don't have a bigger boat by next May, we will most likely sail Cinderella up to Fiji to duck the kiwi winter. I'll replace the shrouds and cover them before that trip. Just thinking about sailing North puts a smile on my face.

I am going to try and pull test the old lifelies to see how much strength they have retained. I fit them 7 years ago, they have been respliced to make lower shrouds when we jury rigged in the Tuamotus. Then again respliced back into lifelines when we replaced the standing rigging in Tahiti. The last 3 years in NZ has turned the white/grey though they were once red. When I cut through them, the outer strands were the only ones that appeared to be damaged, the inner strands were still red. Will be interesting to see what they break at.

-p

p.gazibara

Member III
Had a look at the potential boat yesterday. What a nice layout. Two cabin forward of the mast and an aft cabin?! It felt like a ship inside rather than a condo. Ava was imediately fond of how much light comes into the boat, and the hard dodger. The cockpit is just long enough to lay down.

The single head had a... tub?! at the base of the shower. Quite roomy for a 12' beam though it is 2' more than we are used to. Shes no Whitby 42, but from owners accounts, a great light wind boat which is a requirement for a good electric boat candidate.

The deck is solid GRP so it has a bit more flex than the balsa cored one I'm used to walking on. She was pretty dry inside which is rare for the boats that have been sitting here in NZ.

I found out some more info on her history, she was launched in 1975 and named Nibama. She raced in the 76' Capetown - Rio race, can't seem to find any records of the results though. The current owner is the second owner. He and his wife have done lots of work to her over the years. Real cruisers, did the work themselves and just kept going. They also raced her from NZ to Japan on their way back to the USA. Back then they paid the entrants to do the race!? Apparently after that they sailed 4000nm from Japan to AK in 28 days. Thats pretty quick for a cruising boat.

One alarming thing stood out - original keel bolts. She does not have an encapsulated keel as I thought. Only one bolt was visible and it was rusty, not as bad as some I have seen, but the rest of the bolts are inside either the diesel or water tanks. Sounds like a very $$$$ job to remove the keel and have a look. Does anyone know of a way to inspect them without removing the keel? Is this something x-rays or ultrasounds can do? Owner was not sure what they are made of, but thinks SS. I have my fingers crossed they are Monel, but either way, 50 years seems like a full life for a keel bolt.

Another wild note, he rebuilt the rudder in 99 after a steering cable chafed through a +12V wire. He found out when we turn the wheel backing out of a slip and nothing happened. Turned it back and forth watching the quadrant and couldn't figure out why the boat wouldn't turn. 40 amps at 12V makes SS dissappear rapidly, the rudder was no longer attached to the stock.

We will see if they are ready to let the next generation of sea hippies take over stewardship. We will have dinner/drink with them when he gets back from Fiji to swap sea stories.

I need to prepare myself for taking on lots of deferred maintanence on a much bigger boat. At least she has been hauled every year.