Setting off around the world!

p.gazibara

Member III
After a month in the Bay of Islands, I now understand why so many regard this place as sailing Paradise. It has the nooks and crannies of the Puget Sound. Hundreds of small beautiful anchorages and first world groceries. The wind is more on par with the Bay Area... there is always wind!

I picked up a a temp job at Seapower, the marine do it all company in Opua. The team is great, and I fit right in. What I have learned so far - diesels keep technicians working - most vessels do not use proper heat shrink wire terminals - I like kiwi boats.

It looks like we will be sticking around here for a while.

Happy Holidays!

-P

p.gazibara

Member III
Cinderella finally left the BOI and arrived in Auckland! Ava had to stay and work, so a friend and I sailed her down on the front edge of a system. The flat seas that were forecast turned out not to be the case, but we had a great sail south and got in before the storm.

We are currently in Gulf Harbor and plan to stay around Auckland through the winter.

Very excited to cruise the Hauraki Gulf!

-P

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I'm sure you'll get over to the Coromandel peninsula. There are some great bays on the Gulf side to drop the pick.
You can circumnavigate Rangi and Waiheke in a day, and you'll also have fun just sailing around the inner harbor (harbour) - even up past the bridge and the famous old Chelsea Sugar Works. I don't know how far you can get up there now - used to be poorly dredged and shallow at low tide. Of course, Kawau Island and Mansion House are a must.

p.gazibara

Member III
Spent half the day yesterday sailing over to Rakino Island and back. About 10nm from our anchorage in Gulf Harbor, 20nm overall.

CE99A563-B128-4AE0-809A-710B8792080F.png

A friend who wanted to learn to sail joined us for what was a rather bouncy ride. The last low that passed over left quite a sea state, and as soon as we got out of the shelter from the peninsula, we we plunging along in 2m seas.

Fortunately, it was a reach and in about an hour we were in protected waters again and anchored in West Bay.

447E2688-B4A8-4338-A43F-3434EF88169F.png8EBAEF7D-8704-4E93-910B-CC2D4316AE5A.png

We had lunch and chatted away until the rain showers past. Then we hauled anchor and headed back.

It was a close reach on the way back, but we managed to keep the decks dry and the crew from loosing lunch.

High on my project list is an electric windlass...

-p

p.gazibara

Member III
94E8D4A2-0D72-467F-A655-710369FD538F.jpeg
A friend lent us their mooring up one of the rivers here while he goes cruising for a couple months. He has a Spencer 65 schooner, the piles are 80’ apart. Cinderella looks tiny between the piles.

I just accepted a job with Navico, software testing for Lowrance, Simrad, and B&G. Hopefully this means Cinderella will finally get fancy new instruments after we lost all the KVH kit to one wave our first night offshore.

Needless to say, the trip “around the world” has come to a stop for a while. New Zealand is great, and COVID has changed what cruising is like. I’m thinking it will be a good five years before borders open back up fully.

447953E0-397F-4FD9-B99D-4EA3C0C6D0BD.jpeg

For now, we will be exploring New Zealand’s coast and probably spend most of our time in the Hauraki Gulf.

-p

p.gazibara

Member III
Don't just dangle that one out there... :) Do tell. And show!
Happy Holidays to you, well done on your adventure so far.
Chris
Lol, I firmly believe that electronics need every bit of anti-corrosion help they can get. Especially in a salt water environment. I always use wire terminations that are of the heat shrink variety. First crimped for a good mechanical connection, then heated so the cover melts over the termination and seals it with glue. They cost more, but you don’t have to do them twice.

-p

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Pajo,

Congrats on the job, sounds interesting.

>High on my project list is an electric windlass...

Have you seen the Uma episode with the 48 volt windlass install. A company (I forget which) built a 48 volt windlass for them to test with the intention of producing them for the 48 volt EP crowd.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Hey Pajo,

Congrats on the job, sounds interesting.

>High on my project list is an electric windlass...

Have you seen the Uma episode with the 48 volt windlass install. A company (I forget which) built a 48 volt windlass for them to test with the intention of producing them for the 48 volt EP crowd.
I seem to recall that Uma installed a Maxwell windlass - it's an NZ company. I installed one of their 12V windlasses (RC-8-6) last year. You can also see a recent episode of the 'Adventures of an old Seadog' YT channel (about 3 back in the series?) - Barry also installed a Maxwell windlass (he's actually in NZ now).