• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

small sailing dinghy?

Andrew Means

Member III
My boat currently has a pretty standard inflatable dinghy, which does the trick, kinda - it's a pain to row, it doesn't tow well, it doesn't stay inflated, and it's got cheap-o plastic oarlocks and oars.

What I'd really like is a small dinghy that I can sail if I like - something where you could anchor in a cove and go exploring for an afternoon. Something that can carry two adults in relative comfort, and can sail as well as be rowed.

I have fond memories of playing with a sabot at an old girlfriend's lake cabin - does anyone have a sabot that they use for a dinghy? Do you like it? What are some other recommendations?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We love our 8' Walker Bay fibreglass dinghy (they also make inflatables, but I prefer the fibreglass). It tows very smoothly. It is strong, doesn't suffer much from being hauled up on rocks on shore, is quite light compared to most (70 lbs), easily holds two adults and can carry three in reasonable conditions. It comes with oars and rows nicely, can take up to a 4 hp motor, and one can buy a sail for it. One can also buy a tube surround that goes around the outside gunnel and makes it much more stable than without, though I never had a stability concern. They also make a 10 foot, but for what we need, the 8 foot has been great and I would highly recommend it. They show them on their website.

Frank

Special K

Member II
Sailing dinghy

I have a Boston Whaler Squall. It has beautiful lines. It is nine feet long and has a lateen rig with a centerboard that allows it to sail to windward. It has a small skeg keel that helps it track well. It can take a small outboard, but I have newer wooden oars. I am also in Seattle. Let me know if you would like see it.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have a 9.5ft Nutshell Pram, built from a Woodenboat kit. It sails very nicely and rows incredibly well. The wetted surface of the hull is very small when unloaded and so it tows very easily. The only thing I don't like about it, or any other dink, is towing it. I can't stand the slap, slap, slap noise of the thing as I sail along peacefully, but that is my issue. Sail about in any harbor and you will get many, many thumbs up in one of these classics. Its a good winter project. I would guess weight @90lbs, I can step under it and muscle it about but its awkward to carry alone. RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have (briefly) sailed an El Toro and used to own an old beat up model. It was fun but a bit small for me (6'2" tall).
Then I got a Ranger Minto dinghy - 9 feet long. Excellent for rowing and sailing.
There are a boat load of Rangers around; they have been in production for so many decades. I found a good one with full sail rig for $600.
Keep you eye on the ads in Craigs.

For a while we were cruising with an awesome Ranger 11 dinghy, but it was complicated to tow/handle when entering marinas. Rowed like a dream, though.

Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Allow me to brag up the Eastport Pram from Chesapeake Light Craft. It's very light and great fun to sail. Two rowing stations, so you can carry two people ashore.
(There's also a construction time-lapse and a goofy Go-Pro video on my Vimeo site):

http://vimeo.com/50044096

Andrew Means

Member III
I ended up getting an Orca dinghy from Dinghy Co in Mount Vernon, WA. It's the 7.5' version and it rows beautifully, and is a lot of fun to sail. Fits nicely on the foredeck as well; giving us more maneuverability when changing sails.

IMG_2197.jpg

davisr

Member III
Andrew,

That's a beautiful boat. Do you have any pictures of it stowed on the foredeck? Curious to see how it fits.

Thanks,
Roscoe

E25, #226
Oystercatcher

E33MikeOx

Member II
Tinker

Here's my $0.02

Tinker Inflatable - Quite a unique dingy. Made in jolly old England. Sails really well and with the optional kit, doubles as a life raft. I don't know if they are still available new, at least in the U.S. I really like mine.

Mike O.
E-33 JP Foolish, hull #25

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Nordic 9 (Out of Production)

I saved this particular dinghy from years of neglect, spending one summer bringing it back to life. It took me almost 6 months to identify it as produced by the Nordic Dinghy Co., out of Washington State, no longer in business. It is a tad heavy and wouldn't likely keep it on the deck, but it sure gets a lot of thumbs up in the marina! :egrin:

Long Beach-Lakewood-20110917-00020.jpgLong Beach-Lakewood-20110917-00023.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20110917-00017.jpg
    IMG-20110917-00017.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 4,168
Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Yup, I'd almost sell my Ericson....

Yup, I'd almost sell my 1984 Ericson 30+ for that pretty little boat--she's a beauty!!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Wow

I have a Boston Whaler Squall. It has beautiful lines. It is nine feet long and has a lateen rig with a centerboard that allows it to sail to windward. It has a small skeg keel that helps it track well. It can take a small outboard, but I have newer wooden oars. I am also in Seattle. Let me know if you would like see it.

That brings back memories! My first boat was a BW Squall.. I lived in Woods Hole, Mass as a youth and sailed that thing all over Vineyard Sound and Buzzards Bay (we are dumb when we are young and unsupervised!)> Sailed it over the Martha's Vineyard several times.

Not the best sailing boat, and far too heavy for what it was, but it was strong as hell and got me there and back.

Cool!
S

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I grew up with this Phil Bolger dory as tender to the family boat, which was on a mooring on Raritan Bay. The famous plywood dory is tippy, but rows wonderfully with spoon blade oars, and it could carry three people, a big dog and many canvas bags of groceries.

Attachments

• Image0081.jpg
    Image0081.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,275
Last edited:

Second Star

Member III
Small Sailing Dingy

We have an 8 ft Walker Bay. It is plastic (like a Chlorox bottle) and very tough. We have the sailing kit and the additional flotation ring that makes it into a kind of RHIB.
Things to note: When the daggerboard slot is fitted in the boat for sailing, water comes up through it when it is under tow ... lots of water! Block it when towing. The two versions of the flotation rings both require almost heroic uv protection measures to keep it under warranty. We bought a cover to put over it when not in use. The pre-addressed warranty cards we mailed in for both the boat and the flotation ring came back as unknown. We sent it to the address on the web page and the same thing happened. Does this mean that the warranty is no good?? Who knows? Due to the deep transom and a little wheel built into the keel we had to get a long shaft 2.5 outboard so the prop could rotate under the keel (for reverse you turn the motor 180 degrees)

jsnaulty

Member II
dyer dinghy

this is a 8 foot dyer midget. fits nicely on cabin top of 35-3, if you don't have a rigid vang. covers midships hatch, so you can open it in the rain, too. New, they are expensive, but they are readily available ready to be refurbished, all parts available from dyer boats.

image.tiff

steve naulty
35-3 'anodyne'
Chesapeake Yacht Club
shadyside MD

jsnaulty

Member II
dyer midget- heres the picture

hopefully here is the picture that didn't make it last time

Attachments

• Scan 8.jpeg
    Scan 8.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 2,139

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Hmm... after deciding that an inflatable kayak was the best bet for the limited space on my e29, instead I picked up a walker bay 8 on CL for much much less money. I was thinking of making a sailing rig for it. Does anyone know if these sail OK without the flotation collar? (e.g. they don't just heel over and fill up with water.)