Some newbie questions

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Well it's officeial. :egrin: We are now the proud owners of "Fidler on the Sea", a 1985 Ericson 35-III. Our sea trial went very well yesterday and we closed on the sale. Kim, the shifter worked very smoothly with no binding. Thanks for the heads up though. Here are some questions:

1 - Can anyone give me the bulb part numbers for the electrical panel indicator lights(light up when breaker switched on) and for the steaming light?

2 - I have a line running through the boom down to the port side cabin top that is not the outhaul. It does not seem to do anything. The PO had no lines setup for reefing. Could that be what this line is for? If not, can anyone point me to some photos and/or diagrams that show how to setup single line reefing on this boat?

3 - Has anyone installed an expansion tank in their water systems to keep the pump from running every time the faucet is turned on?

4 - Where can I get replacement faucet knobs? The originals are pretty dingy.

That's all I can think of for now.

BTW, this boat has a full suit of UK Tape Drive head sails and spinnakers that I will probably sell if anyone is interested.

Tim R.

Last edited:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
accumulator tank

I got a small plastic accumulator tank last year for about $50. There was plenty of room under the galley sink to install it next to the pump. It's an easy install.

It definitely helps with the short cycling. Shurflo makes a much larger stainless steel 2 gallon tank that's over $100.

Last edited:

Ray Rhode

Member III
Tim,

If the bulb you are looking for is the LED next to the circuit breaker/switch let me know. I replaced both my electrical panels and saved all the parts. I believe I have some of those left over.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I installed a plastic accumulator and it really reduces the cycling of the pump, which will greatly extend the life of the pressure switch as well.
If you have a decent 100 or 120% jib to sell, please let me know the measurements... and price.
What brand of faucet does it have? Our '88 came with all Grohe stuff, parts for which are still available thru mid-and-high-end plumbing supply companies. Very good quality, FWIW.

That's a very pretty Ericson design -- and fast, as well.

Regards,
Loren

CaptnNero

Accelerant
The pressure switch is what failed in our original '88 Shurflo pump last year. When it failed I couldn't get a replacement pressure switch so I ended up buying a new pump. I suppose I could have put a separate pressure switch in line on the pressure side of the pump, but I since I couldn't get other parts for the pump I just replaced the whole thing.

Loren Beach said:
I installed a plastic accumulator and it really reduces the cycling of the pump, which will greatly extend the life of the pressure switch as well.
If you have a decent 100 or 120% jib to sell, please let me know the measurements... and price.
What brand of faucet does it have? Our '88 came with all Grohe stuff, parts for which are still available thru mid-and-high-end plumbing supply companies. Very good quality, FWIW.

That's a very pretty Ericson design -- and fast, as well.

Regards,
Loren

Captain Crunch

Member II
Hey there, I am interested in a spinnaker for my E 35. If you interested in selling just one of your sails. Please send dimentions. Thanks

tenders

Innocent Bystander
The mysterious line in the boom could be for putting in a flattening reef, which reduces the mainsail luff by about 6". Or, it could be for a toppinglift or lazyjacks.

You can easily make your own custom-size accumulator with some PVC piping, endcaps, PVC solvent glue, and the fittings. It's just a container filled with air, which gets compressed when it fills with water and smooths out the pump cycling.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Hi Tim, glad the shifter works good. I can sleep better now. As for reefing, we do not have single line reefing on ours. Your mysterious line could be for reefing the leach or it could be the flattener. Our boat has both the flattener and the leach reefing lines run aft from the mast back to the cockpit.

Again, congrats and have fun.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Great info

Thanks for all the great info. For those of you who inquired about the sails, I won't have the spinnakers for at least a week. The head sails I have now but need some dry weather to take them out and measure and photograph them. I will get you the info ASIC.

Ray, if you could snap a photo of that panel and send it to me and if it is the same as mine, I would be glad to take it off your hands.

Tim R.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
commercial accumulator vs home made

Actually the commercial accumulators are quite a bit more than a tube of air. They have a rubber bladder which contains as much as 100 psi before being compressed. This makes it a deeper pressure sink and more effective in a smaller size. Our house has a water well system with a giganitc version of the accumulator on my boat.

tenders said:
The mysterious line in the boom could be for putting in a flattening reef, which reduces the mainsail luff by about 6". Or, it could be for a toppinglift or lazyjacks.

You can easily make your own custom-size accumulator with some PVC piping, endcaps, PVC solvent glue, and the fittings. It's just a container filled with air, which gets compressed when it fills with water and smooths out the pump cycling.