Stock 35-3 Rudder soon to be for Sale

Doug177

Member III
I am upgrading to the Cal 40 Style Schumacher Rudder over the Winter to improve handling in Summer Racing.
Finco is building the new rudder now. Just thought I would put this out in advance.
Existing Rudder and Post are fresh-water pure and in great shape.

A couple of weepy blisters crop up toward the bottom sometimes at haul-out.
They are drilled and drained all winter if they show up. Then filled with Epoxy in the Spring
and barrier coated before putting back in water. No signs of de-lamination. Rudder is remarkably
light.

Muskegon Michigan. We can use the Finco new rudder box to ship it to you.

Attachments

• rudder-1.jpg
    rudder-1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 25
  • rudder-2.jpg
    rudder-2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 24
  • rudder-3.jpg
    rudder-3.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 24

garryh

Member III
I SO wish I could make this work on my 35-2... but nowhere close.
The original rudders on the 35-2 are simply silly. Horrible design, horrible performance. And backing up takes years off your life ; |
This is not my boat (and apologies to whoever's boat it might be... ) ...but just look at the silly little thing. And raked aft makes it worse. And the distance from the prop especially with mid-engine, with the shaft angled downwards, makes it way worseR than that : |
Who could ever have possibly thought this was a good idea..? they should be embarrassed.
Rant over.

Attachments

• 35-2 rudder (2).jpg
    35-2 rudder (2).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 10

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it helps to contemplate the (worse) misery of others.... the C&C "scimitar" rudder shape in the 70's was even .... worse....

By the late 70's - early 80's most designers were changing their rudder shapes a lot. By the 80's most of the rudder profiles look, to my untrained eye, about like what we see now on new boats.

BTW, there is a modern "Cal 40 style" rudder on a red E-35-2, pictured somewhere on this site. Said to be a Schumacher design, and it looks similar to the rudder on our Olson.
And.... Ah Ha. A search in my iPhoto collection finds a copy! I saved the picture because it is just a really pretty boat.

Attachments

• E-35-2 Commotion.jpg
    E-35-2 Commotion.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

garryh

Member III
nope, does not help : )
But I will commiserate with the 'scimitar' owners... : )
It is my understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) but the builders simply cheaped out with the 35-2 rudder and used the rudder from the 32 to save a few bucks (thereby causing a great deal of anxiety and misery! )

Doug177

Member III
Well Garry, the Finco people in Santa Ana will build you a new Schumacher designed rudder for your 35-2. A couple of 35-2's that have one in Chicago say that it really improves the handling. They don't leave home without it.

Doug