Sunbrella Covers for Grab Rails

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Anyone make these? Have any good ideas or regrets? I have mine off right now to refinish over the winter and I would like to keep them in good shape for as long as possible. Also would love ideas for exterior hatch covers in sunbrella too.

Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We had handrail covers on the prior boat for almost ten years and now on the Olson for a decade. Considering the hassle to refinish teak handrails, I consider them a no-brainer....
They were made by a local canvas shop, and used snaps to secure the sides together under each loop. Pictures just added...
:)

Loren

Attachments

• HandrailCoverUnsnapped.jpg
    HandrailCoverUnsnapped.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 279
  • portHandrailCover.jpg
    portHandrailCover.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

1973E29 TUG

Member I
I can't vouch for them because I have never used them but they do have std sunbrella handrail covers on their website. They are also found in the Links section of this Ericson site so I would assume that someone in this community has used their services before. http://www.sailcovers.net

I had them estimate a sunbrella mainsail cover for me and were competetive. In the end, I used my local canvas shop for the work. JSI in St. Petersburg, FL 727-577-3220 talk to Mary Jenson in the canvas shop tell her I sent you. you can check out their website at http://www.newjsi.com. I have no affiliation with JSI I'm just a satisfied customer.

kevin81

Member II
Ted:
I had covers made for my E34 in January 2005. It has been a great investment and has saved the finish from the strong southeast Texas summer sun. I paid about $60.00 for the pair (made by a local sailmaker). Six snaps hold each one to the deck.
Kevin
s/v Serenidad

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Kevin. Thats what I was trying to figure out. My wife and I are fairly handy with the sewing machine and sunbrella but dont have a lot of free time with 2 little ones running around and a VW bus restoration going on... Any chance you could post or email me a picture? Esp concerned with where and how you have the snaps located. Thansk again.

kevin81

Member II
Ted:
Attached is a picture of the port handrail cover. Each cover is attached to the deck with 6 snaps - 2 at each end of the cover and 2 in the middle. The male ends of the snaps (attached to the deck) were added by the previous owner.
Kevin
E34 s/v Serenidad

Attachments

• Handrail cover.JPG
    Handrail cover.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 867