Tek Dek on E-27

EY271975

Does anybody have teak decks or synthetic teak decks on a ericson?Im installing Tek Dek now heres a rough draft of what i think it will look like.

Attachments

• xfhdfhdfhdef.jpg
    xfhdfhdfhdef.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 71

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Time to put some "non" back into the skid?

There was, in the past, a pic posted up of an older Ericson with aftermarket screwed-down teak decks. Probably a bad idea for a host of reasons...
However, the modern synthetic teak might be OK, since it is epoxied down, just like new boat builders have been doing for the last decade with real teak.

After all, Treadmaster (c) decking has always been "glued" down with an epoxy type adhesive. I know of a boat with that surface on the deck that is almost 30 years old and while the material is now about ready for replacement, it still functions as reasonably good non-skid.

If your old factory deck gel coat - including the non-skid - is about shot, not to mention thinning out enough to see the pattern of the glass in the substrate, you do need to do something.

Whether prepping and applying a new sanded LPU surface or shooting the smooth parts in LPU and then laying a new pattern of Treadmaster or TekDek, it is probably time to "start over" on a whole host of boats that are homing in on their 4th decade of life.

Post some project pics of your solution, whatever you decide. We're all curious...
:cool:

http://www.tekdekusa.com/
http://www.tiflex.co.uk/marine/marine.html

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

EY271975

tek dek

Yes i was also thinking leaving the cabin top bare kind of like a Halberg-Rassy.

Attachments

• HR372.jpg
    HR372.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 60

boethius27

Member II
Thanks for this thread. Our topsides are in sore shape and they are targeted as our next big project. I'll be shrinkwrapping us up for the winter soon and figuring out exactly what I want to do. Tek Dek is an option I've had in mind, though a pricey one... I had a friend recently paint his topsides with Easypoxy from Petit and it looks great. That is the cheapest solution and may be what I end up doing. I'll pay attention to your Tek Dek project though, as I certainly haven't ruled it out.

I too would probably leave the cabin top white like the Halberg...