This one is for the Electrically Gifted

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
I recently decided to mount my ipod (mpeg player) in the cockpit. I have run a 3.5mm jack line about 20' from the player to the stereo aux. port, which is inside the cabin. Works great......EXCEPT when the engine is running! At which time the sound "cuts out" temporarily for a second or two intermittently.

The ipod is mounted within inches of the instrument cluster and therefore the 3.5mm jack line is close as well. I don't believe that I am losing power temporarily, because my stereo does not bypass the battery switch and therefore, when the power goes off, the stereo reverts back to the initial settings which is not set to AUX.

I don't think there is a short, because it only happens when the engine is turned on and has never happened while under sail even in rough conditions. I am thinking that there must be some wierd electircal "convergence" wreaking havoc, given it close proximity to the instrument cluster. OK I don't know what that means, but it sounds good.

Any ideas?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I am thinking that there must be some wierd electrical "convergence" wreaking havoc
I suspect you are correct.

I think I would try shielding your 20' cable. An easy way to do it would be to get some tinned copper braided sleeving such as McMaster-Carr #5537K26 -1/4" ID, 3/16" to 5/16" Bundle Dia. Thread your cable through it and ground it at the stereo.

If you want to get fancy make up a cable using shielded wire, but I would try the shield first.

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
You could also look at your complete cable run. As I recall, data/signal carrying lines do not like to be run close and parallel to power cables; if power and signal cables must cross they should cross as close to 90 degrees as possible. I believe the problem is that if power and signal cables run parallel and close the power cable can induce current in the signal cable.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
You could also look at your complete cable run. As I recall, data/signal carrying lines do not like to be run close and parallel to power cables; if power and signal cables must cross they should cross as close to 90 degrees as possible. I believe the problem is that if power and signal cables run parallel and close the power cable can induce current in the signal cable.

Mark - Don't worry about the crossing angle; not close together over a distance is the point. The shielding I mentioned will tend to cancel the effect, however, as does, to a lesser extent, twisting the wires together.

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Otherwise known as EMI

Electo-magnetic Interference. When electrical and instrument (low voltage/ data) systems are designed they are routed independently, barriers can be used or as Tom mentions, shielded cable is used.
In basic terms it's the electro-magnetic field induced around power cables that case this effect.

toddbrsd

Thanks guys. Before I pop for the shielding, I may try and temporarily relocate the 3.5mm jack line. The line is currently running parrallel and in close proximity to power lines in a common chase, so that makes sense. In addition, the line is no doubt cheap construction since I bought it on ebay and I think it came from either China or Hong Kong, but then again don't all electronics? :)

BTW, I was out at the boat today so I took a picture of the setup. So I probably picked the worst place to mount the player, but the stereo is mounted on the same side in the cabin, so it made the most sense to me at the time.

Attachments

• CIMG0817.jpg
    CIMG0817.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Always looking for the easy answer....
but just to test the theory, how 'bout wrapping some sections of aluminum foil around the cable where it's near or touching other wires? Sort of a "proof of concept" maybe?
:confused:

LB

Last edited:

toddbrsd

Always looking for the easy answer....
but just to test the theory how 'bout wrapping some sections of aluminum foil around the cable where it's near or touching other wires? Sort of a "proof of concept" maybe?
:confused:

LB

Loren,

I think that is an outstanding idea, or temporarily relocate it and then if it is just isolated to the area near the instrument panel, I can just deal with it there and not purchase and rerun the cable. I think a little experimentation is in order.

Thanks

Last edited:

Jim Mobley

Member II
Unlikely a shielding issue

Todd,

This is unlikely a shielding issue. Shielding protects primarily from RF interference, if you were picking up AM radio stations, ignition noise or your VHF, you might look at shielding, but that's not your complaint. In any case, it appears that you are using a commercially available extension for your MP3 player and these are universally "shielded" in their construction.

You state that the audio drops out, I presume that both channels are gone? I also presume that you've wiggled the connections to check for intermittent contacts?

The main clue here is that the problem only manifests itself when the engine is running. So, what's different when the engine's running? Well, the most obvious thing is that the boat's DC buss voltage is higher because the alternator is charging the batteries. I didn't see a voltmeter in your instrument panel, do you have one? I'm not thinking low voltage but rather high voltage. If your voltage regulation is failing, you could be seeing 15-16 volts which could cause the stereo to exhibit all kinds of weird behavior.

Does the problem manifest itself when listening to the radio or CDs? Using a short cable for the MP3 player is a useful troubleshooting step, but if the problem goes away, it doesn't point to a shielding problem, just a bad cable problem. Get a better cable. Try Bluejeans Cable:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/MSA1.htm

If the problem persists with the short cable, try the following:

1) Check the charging voltage, it shouldn't exceed 14.5 volts, nor should it be less than 13.2 volts.
2) Check the power connections to the radio. Not only the positive voltage, but the negative voltage connection as well.
3) The chassis of the radio should be well connected to the DC negative buss. Measure the DC voltage between the radio chassis and the battery negative. If there is any, clean up that connection.
4) I notice that you have an amp meter in the panel? Is the shunt at the meter or remote? You can tell by the size of the wire going to the meter, big wire means that the shunt is in the meter, little wire means a remote shunt. If the shunt is in the meter, then I suppose that the magnetic field of the DC current could cause the MP3 player to have problems, but this seems rather unlikely--it's a solid state device and magnetic fields shouldn't affect flash memory.

Good luck.

toddbrsd

Another Clue

I am still trouble shooting this issue. I decided to try and switch to the FM mode and to my surprise, I am having the same issue (Doh), so that seems to indicate that it is not isolated to the mp3 player or the 3.5mm jack wire. Sorry guys, I wish I would have done that before initially posting this. After turning the vollume down somewhat, the problem seemed to cease. I have not tried it in CD mode, but I'll try that this weekend.

The stereo is a DUAL marine stereo with a max output of 4x25W. I have used the Fade to direct most of the output to the 2 speakers in the cockpit, which are rated for 60W each. Does any of this new info help?

Jim, I'll go down your list of 4 items. This IS definietly only occuring while the engine is running. And I do need to go through the electrical system at some point.

Guy Stevens

Test the voltage too!

This sounds more like an over or under voltage to the stereo. Both will cause cut outs as you are describing, so will the presence of AC on the DC power line which could be caused by a blown diode in your alternator. I would look at what the power is that the Stereo is receiving before going any further.

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
Jim noted:

4) I notice that you have an amp meter in the panel? Is the shunt at the meter or remote? You can tell by the size of the wire going to the meter, big wire means that the shunt is in the meter, little wire means a remote shunt. If the shunt is in the meter, then I suppose that the magnetic field of the DC current could cause the MP3 player to have problems, but this seems rather unlikely--it's a solid state device and magnetic fields shouldn't affect flash memory.

That's most likely your problem. The issue is that ALL of your charging from your alternator is going all the way from the alternator to the ammeter in the cockpit and then all the way back to your batteries, most likely through your 1-2-B switch C post. Small wire, lots of voltage drop, just when you need it most for charging. Dumb design. Most older boats had it, many still do.

I'd bet the ammeter has a built-in shunt - most of them did, no boat builder would go to the "expense" of a separate shunt. If it reads up to only 25 amps, it's internal.

This is a "way old" design and you might want to consider updating it.

The Catalina Engine Wiring Harness Upgrade (http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Engine_Harness_Upgrade) discusses this. There was an additional issue with our boats in that the connectors were really rotten, but the whole "charging through an ammeter in the cockpit panel" is discussed in some detail.

The fix? Replace the ammeter with a voltmeter, and reduce/eliminate the useless and voltage reducing charging circuit and run the alternator output directly to your house bank (or continue to run it to your 1-2-B switch, which I don't prefer, see this explanation, Reply #11: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4949.0.html).

Once you do that upgrade, your batteries will be better charged, and I'll bet your stereo "noise" will go completely away.

Last edited:

toddbrsd

Thanks guys. Might be some time before I can tackle this. Since I am in Southern California, I will always pick sail time over a nusance issue like this! Plus I will need to read those posts to educate myself a little more.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Hey guys - This engine is an A-4, isn't it? Gas engines can create lots of electrical noise that can have all sorts of effects, and can cause an electrical "convergence" wreaking havoc with electronics. :nerd:

I don't think small wire and long charging routes would cause this problem because as the wire gets smaller and the route gets longer the effect of the engine on the battery goes away. It would become the same as the engine being off.

I should also add that this is an Ericson; wiring modifications come from this site, not Catalina site. :rolleyes: See: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=116&id=696 This was written for Universal Diesels, but would have the same effect on any engine with similar problems. Some people do not think the ammeter is useless on the diesel's instrument panel, I for one. I use it to monitor the engine loads, namely the glow plugs, solenoid, etc. YMMV.

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
1. I don't think small wire and long charging routes would cause this problem because as the wire gets smaller and the route gets longer the effect of the engine on the battery goes away. It would become the same as the engine being off.

2. I should also add that this is an Ericson; wiring modifications come from this site, not Catalina site. :rolleyes: See: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=116&id=696 This was written for Universal Diesels, but would have the same effect on any engine with similar problems. Some people do not think the ammeter is useless on the diesel's instrument panel, I for one. I use it to monitor the engine loads, namely the glow plugs, solenoid, etc. YMMV.

Tom, I've read your contributions to this site and applaud you for them.

1. I think we need to differentiate between ammeters with internal shunts and external shunts in discussing appropriate use of ammeters in the cockpit. Most, if not all, production boats were built with ammeters with internal shunts, for reasons I mentioned earlier (cost), and the fact that they read 0-25A. For instance, the only Blue Seas ammeter with an internal shunt, model 8005, goes only to 25A, and is true for most ammeters, 'cuz for larger loads the shunts are too big to fit in the small ammeter housing. These are adequate for most on board uses, since while if you turned EVERYTHING electrical ON you'd most likely exceed that amperage, we rarely turn our fridge, running lights, ALL interior lights, steaming light, deck light, macerator and bilge pump, and whatever else we have, on at the same time. In the 13 years we've owned our current boat, the 0-25A internal shunt ammeter works just fine. This is NOT in the cockpit, but is down below, different from the factory installed cockpit ammeter.

Those are the types of ammeters most folks have in their cockpit panels, because that's what Universal provided with their cockpit panels, for our Catalinas and your Ericsons. They were also almost always provided with incredibly undersized small #10 wiring, a real voltage drop issue.

The photo on the LEFT below shows the internal shunt ammeter as installed. The downside of this is that ALL alternator output has to run all the way to the ammeter in the cockpit and then way back to the batteries to charge. That's why I made the point I did about the possibilities of electrical interference in the stereo installation.

However, there are, as you note, externally shunted ammeters, shown on the right. If the shunt is down below and the ONLY wires to the cockpit ammeter are the small wires from the shunt, then I agree it shouldn't be an issue, since they are only carrying a small amount of voltage with little current, only enough to move the meter. Thing is, these weren't the ones normally installed.

2. I agree, but we end up at the same conclusions, since Universal provided our engines and control panels. I did come across your referenced link in perusing this website and the earlier posts you've made, which have contributed greatly to the knowledgebase you have here. In fact, I came across just that link, but don't have the detailed historical perspective you have here to find and link it again. Point is, they both pretty much say the same thing. The Catalina one is from the "factory" and/or Universal, who would never admit to making a mistake, blaming the boat owners for putting too much electrical stuff on their boats where batteries would need a recharge! How dare those pesky boat owners!!! Oh well, at least we know about it.

I agree, an ammeter in the cockpit panel is truly helpful, but not if it is an internally shunted meter, because it messes up the charging system big time.

When discussing this many years ago, a friend suggested that the voltmeter can do the same thing: if the starter keeps working, or the glow plugs, the voltmeter will drop, providing the same functional indication that an ammeter would. I have found this to be true.

Attachments

• Shunts.jpg
    Shunts.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Stu - The E-boats I am familiar with use 60-0-60 ammeters on their panels and there is no external shunt, not that it has any baring at all. The wonderful thing about the existing ammeter on my boat, which provides very little indication being a 60 A meter reading much smaller currents, is that it IS existing. There was no need to run out and buy a meter which would give me the same poor indication. Since only engine operating current flows through the meter voltage drop is not a real concern.

Because of the location of the panel there can be no quick, easy readings taken.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Tom, can you clarify....

Tom, our E30+ has the 60 - 0 - 60 ammeter you mentioned in the above post, and has also had the wiring modification done that you recommended and is described elsewhere on this site (ie. disconnecting the glow plugs from the starter, etc.).

The only time my ammeter appears to move is when I am operating the glow plugs before starting the engine--it shows a noticeable drain. Otherwise, I never see the gauge move from the 0 reading. Can/should it show anything else? I am guessing that it might show a significant drain if the alternator malfunctions while the engine is operating, if the VHF radio and various instruments are on--correct?

I would appreciate any other information that would help me understand how to interpret the ammeter on the engine panel.

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited: