Tiller Tender wanted: E-27

mrmagoo

tiller tender

WellI think it's called a tiller tender, I'm pretty new to sailing, First sail on SF Bay last weekend, yeah, great fun, I'm looking for a device to hold my tiller, theres a hole in the handle of the tiller so looks like there should be something to hold the tiller, while I 'm doing other things underway

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
DAVIS INSTRUMENTS

Tiller Tamer
Only $29.99 USD

+ Add To Project List

Product Rating: ------

Availability: In Stock
WM Model #: 160739
Manuf. Part #: 2205

Smooth, adjustable control of tiller movement, for short periods of "self-steering." Particularly useful when changing sails, motoring, etc. on short-handed boats.

Installs and adjusts quickly
Requires cleats or tie-off points
Includes a 7' of 1/4" nylon line

Attachments

• 160739.jpg
    160739.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 571

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
WellI think it's called a tiller tender, I'm pretty new to sailing, First sail on SF Bay last weekend, yeah, great fun, I'm looking for a device to hold my tiller, theres a hole in the handle of the tiller so looks like there should be something to hold the tiller, while I 'm doing other things underway

If that hole has a SS ferule in it, it might be for the quick-release pin swivel fitting for a hiking stick.
:confused:

LB

WhiteNoise

Member III
Second thoughts

I had one of those on a Catalina 25. I was not impressed. It is not useless, just not great. You also have to create two (adjustable preferably with a clam or cam cleat) attachment points for the bitter ends of the line which requires mounting hardware that it doesn't come with. By the time you buy everything it's a $50 plus investment.

I found that a good hiking stick would put me within reach of all major points of trim and if you really needed to tie off the helm, you can do just that with a piece of line. I like this one:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|297677|103258&id=103307
This would have the SS ferule Loren mentioned. If your tiller doesn't have the SS ferule it could have been removed along with the hiking stick for use on the next boat.

I would recommend to start with the hiking stick and save for a tiller pilot. You can find them on EBay sometimes for a great deal but one for your boat would not be terribly expensive and an investment well worth it.
Defender has one for $304.99
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|302025|296563|321072|1018466&id=29316

Just my two cents for what it's worth. Good luck!:egrin:

-Chris

Last edited:

Dave Hussey

Member III
Have you found your tiller tamer?

I have one in my swap-box that needs a new home. As the previous messages have pointed out, it is not a panacea...I bought it, installed it, decided I didnt like it, and now it is a swap meet item. How does $10 plus postage sound? I think I even still have the instructions for it.
Email me at mcvintage@yahoo.com
Chears !