• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tom Vilhauer Arrives Hawaii [T minus Aloha, Departure Planning]

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
They typically start off Mexico as summer begins, then march west above the equator. Often that means they never get above 10 or 15N.

But they're unpredictable, and apparently their course depends on water temperature--they like it warm. Tropical storms have always paralleled me en route Hawaii in July, and ten years ago two of them chased me into Kauai and passed overhead. The issue is that they can make a sudden turn north any time, and they can proceed hundred of miles north of the Hawaiian Islands.

This seems like a great year for Tom's sail. On the other hand, the North Pacific High is very far north, making for a long sail home. But that can change.

Here is a personal view of hurricane issues:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks like light air today, most barbs showing 10 knots. Often this means very light at dawn, building to easy in the afternoon.
Pleasant stuff, calm seas. He has a nice slant at the current 24J mark, not dead downwind.

June 24.jpg

But the Gribs show calms in days ahead. Trade winds on holiday. Here's June 26:

June 26.jpg

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good progress.

26 june.JPG

Gribs show increasing wind next few days, possible wild ride (the wind velocity shown by barbs is often understated). 28 June forecast:

28 June Capture.JPG

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Congrats Tom!
Hope to hear about your adventure in person some time. Maybe RYC when you return?
So now you have two good cocktail conversations!
1) Swimming the English Channel
and
2) Singlehanding a sailboat from SF to Hawaii.
Pretty incredible.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For anyone with vicarious passage-making interest, my boat Sure Shot is on her way back to California. My delivery team, a couple, are headed North.

Thanks Tom. Are they headed north to try to turn and pass over the usual "high" ?