Twisted Shrouds

mfiechter

I'm looking at purchasing a 1985 Ericson 35-3 and noticed that the shrouds on the standing rigging are twisted around each other between the spreader and the deck. Is this typical on the 35-3? I've never seen this done on a boat before.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
They should be parallel and not twisted. I wonder if the boat left the dock often or was sailed. That's pretty weird, altho it certainly might still be a good candidate.
The back story about the rigging would be interesting!
All that said, I'll bet your surveyor will have seen stranger things. :(

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Howdy,
I'm not sure what you mean by twisted. On our '86 E35-3 two of them connect at a common chainplate. Otherwise they don't intertwine. Below are a couple shots of our rig. These were installed just this year by a professional rigger.
E35-3 shrouds 2022 sm.jpg
E35-3 turnbuckles 22_11 sm.jpg
Good luck,
Jeff

mfiechter

Thanks for the responses, I'll snap a picture next time I get to the boat. Should be easy to correct just wanted to verify it was not SOP.
Cheers,
Mark

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I'm looking at purchasing a 1985 Ericson 35-3 and noticed that the shrouds on the standing rigging are twisted around each other between the spreader and the deck. Is this typical on the 35-3? I've never seen this done on a boat before.
Unless the owner has documentation showing replacement, I would add into the cost, the replacement of the standing rigging. I wasn't thinking about that when I bought my boat, but it is going to be 7-10K expense, depending on whether I need a new furler.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Unless the owner has documentation showing replacement, I would add into the cost, the replacement of the standing rigging. I wasn't thinking about that when I bought my boat, but it is going to be 7-10K expense, depending on whether I need a new furler.
I assume you had it inspected before sinking that much cash into it? It was suggested to me by quite a few people that I'd have to replace the standing rigging, but when I had it inspected, was told that it was in fine working condition. Just needed to tighten up some turnbuckles and screws.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Not the greatest of photos, but here are a few that show the standing rigging on my '85 35-3. (And say hello to my father while you're looking. ;) )
IMG_7363.jpegIMG_6008.jpegIMG_2867.jpeg