Water tank replacement on E36C

OliveOyle

Member I
Enroute home after buying our new-to-us '76 E36C, we discovered a very small leak in the water tanks located under the cabin sole. It is a small leak, but fast enough to fill the bilge in two days. The problem is that there is NO ACCESS to the tanks, other than two small pull out pieces around the mast or ripping out the sole.

Has anyone replaced their original water tanks, how did you do it, what do you recommend replacing them with (plastic, stainless, etc), how can we keep the cost down (hahaha)?

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
If you can see where it's leaking through the access
hatch it may be possible to weld the tank in place. I know
of another boat that had this done.

Tank replacement is a big job involving cutting out the
glass pan to remove it, and then reconstruction. If
you want to use the tank, this may be your only option.

TAPH2O

Member II
Ah yes to my surprise looking for wiring from mast after my daughter had her 36c haule from Olympia to Portland cant find how the wiring was routed so was going to take up the sole and much to my surprise after taking out all the screws, many broken off or stripped out, found nothing but plastic underneath the 1/4” teak veneer that is delaminating.
One anyone know the routing of wiring from mast to main electrical panel?
Two anyone replaced the fake sole .
why did they use screws when the flooring is glued down.
Can the plastic be routed out and a real sole be put in or is this insert integral to the boat?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
TapH2O, you really need to start a new thread with your specific question. Same boat model, but different question entirely.
There are several great threads here about sole removal and replacement in the 80's Ericson's, but it seems that your model either has had a different sole installed by the prior owner, or the original sole was T&H Plywood like the 80's boats. (?)

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Since it is only water and not pressurized I wonder if there is some way to spray a coating inside the tank to restore its integrity (like the product you are supposed to be able to put in an inflatable boat to coat the interior and make it airtight).

Example: http://sscoatings.net/pages/brewcoat-info.htm
Yes...I know from experience that small leaks in aircraft fuel tanks can be patched from the inside with 3M™ Aerospace AC-350 B-2 Gray AMS-S-8802D Class B-2, Type II Spec Fuel Tank & Fuselage Sealant - Pint Kit. It is for avgas...however, a water tank may have a similar or same product...they even use replacement bladders for leaky aircraft fuel tanks. A thought would be to add a water bladder elsewhere or internal to your water tank? A good shipwright should have a solution for you.

EDIT: Just found/stole this from another site....may be a possibility:
"...had a small leak in a 75 gallon fiberglass water tank that i could not find. i bought a product called 'gluvit' in a marine supply store. it's some kind of polyester resin that's supposedly finds it's way into cracks and seals them. i 'painted' the interior of the water tank with two coats of 'gluvit' and that ended the leak. i think i bought the quart size can. if you google on 'gluvit' you will find out more about it than i know.

my tank does have a very large access port in the top of the tank which allowed me to get my arm down in there and paint the gluvit all around the interior."

Last edited: