What boat did you learn on???

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My father liked small boats for lake fishing and built a plywood pram when I was a kid. I rowed it all over several high lakes in central Oregon. He later rebuilt a beat up 18 foot plywood day cruiser with that new fangled fiberglass cloth and resin, after replacing a lot of wood, fastened with a thousand screws.

I read all the sailing classics as a kid, and even sailed a little in an aluminum sailing canoe when in my teens.
After school, military service and marriage, I finally bought a fixer-upper 14 foot frp dinghy. First thing I and Kathy decided was that we did not like tippy centerboard boats! Bought a new Ranger 20 in '76 and cruised and raced it a lot for 5 years. Then the '81 Niagara 26, bought in '83 and sold in '93. Then the current Olson 34, bought in '94 after a long search.

I raced the first two boats hundreds of starts, and now just enter one cruising race a season with the big boat.

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." by Kenneth Graham.
:cool:
Loren

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
I learned to sail in High School on a friends Sunfish. In fact, the day after prom FOUR of us sailed out to an island on a lake at one of the metro parks around Detroit for a picnic on that Sunfish. Then I went off to college and graduate school and became obsessed with skiing in Utah instead.

Forward to 1984, after landing a job in Michigan. With no skiing to speak of (despite what the Midwestern skiers will claim) we decided to take up sailing on these Great Lakes nearby to have something to replace skiing. Bought an American 2+2 17 footer, then a Laser, then a Precision 23, then an Ericson 38, which I had to sell in 2004. Now all I have left is 20 years of sailing memories, and the folding Porta Bote dinghy that we used aboard the Ericson.

But retirement (and perhaps another Ericson?) is only 5 to 8 years away!

CWM

Chuck
Many years ago I was married to a wonderful woman. One day we decided we were finished with paying rent for a house, so we looked at alternatives.
In May of 1972 we moved aboard a new Coronado 35 with our young son.
We had zero boating experience. The bank refused our loan request initially because of our lack of experience, but in the end we got the loan by making a 30% down payment.

The boat was very ugly, excellent for living aboard, and very forgiving while we used it to gain sailing experience.
We lived on and sailed it for about 5 years in SF bay.

TwistedLogic

Member II
When I was 8, (1966) my dad and his best friend bought 2 old 20' rotten plywood cat boats from a girl scout camp that had declared them too dangerous to use, for $35 each! Heavy wood mast, rusted steel centerboard and rudder and old canvas sails. We used to play chicken with them on a small lake in Michigan. I graduated to a SunSpot, Sunfish, Sailfish, 23' Grampian, Yngling, 22' Catalina, 27' Catalina, down to a 14' Hobie, a fleet of 5 Opti's and now back up to my beloved 23' Mark II c/b Ericson. Who knows what's next.
:egrin:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
It was exactly twenty years ago almost to the day that I signed up for sailing as my thursday afternoon activity at school. We went to a large reservoir supplying the Fens of SE England, and they introduced us to a boat called a Topper, which had been designed with being battered by children in mind, and bounced over the waves with an unelegance to put a Sunfish to shame. The teacher assigned to us was keen, but had no idea how to teach sailing at all, so I spent very happy afternoons goofing off in the water. The last day they gave us a Laser, and I realised there was slightly more to sailing.

Due to cost, it would be six years before I would get in a boat again. I was in the US for the first time, and wanted a way to meet people, so joined the sailing club on the Charles River, Boston. There were some truly exceptional teachers there if you harrassed enough people to take you out on the water; and I started to figure it out, Lasers on fresh wind days being my favourite way of spending a hot summer afternoon.

I continued with various navy rentals over the next couple of years, and I even won a race once, on Halloween, when the other competitors were so absorbed with my attempts to retrieve the greased pumpkin they let me get ahead.

I then took the step of buying my own boat. That was when I had to stop sailing to spend my time keeping her afloat.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
When I was four my parents got their first TV and we got TV trays to place our TV dinners on. My mother asked if I wanted a Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers or Superman tray but I insisted on a tray with a tall ship which I still have. Got into power boats and drifted for an hour or so on a 16 foot Chrysler sail boat when I was about 25 and purchased a power boat at about 29 I have never sold a boat before buying the replacement. I bought my first sailboat in 1996 a Hobie 14 and had no idea how to sail or how to rig it. I got the mast up and made a gooseneck attached the sail and pushed it out in the lake and started learning to sail on the 40 acre lake that is on my property The lake is in a valley and the wind is rarely in a given direction over the entire lake. More tumbling or swirling than straight line. I graduated to larger lakes and a Neptune 24 in 1999 and then to the E29 in 2004.

I have come from drifting on the Hobie to the E29 finishing fourth in fleet in the 2008 Dauphin Island race in Mobile Bay. I hope to learn to sail in my lifetime but for now I am just enjoying the boat and the ride through life...

HughHarv

Hugh
The 470

I learned on the 470's in the early eighties at the Rota Naval Sailing Club in Southern Spain. I always liked the idea of moving under wind on sail power and really got a kick out of the 470 on plane. Needless to say,
I was hooked!:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Vet trivia...

Hi Harvey,
Were you stationed at the NavComSta, Rota?
I ask because we had some personel rotated in from there and from other ComSta's...
(spent my tour on NavComStaGuam, late 60's)

:)

Loren

HughHarv

Hugh
Ah, naval acronyms

Ah, naval acronyms....music to a sailors ear. Been a while since I heard the likes of NavComSta(Rota), which was at the end of a longer acronym for the European Naval ops. I heard Guam was much better than Diego Garcia?

I was stationed at NCS Rota for three years. The sailing club there also had a couple of Cal 22's that we sailed on the bay of Cadiz. Sometimes crossing the bay to have lunch in another port like Cadiz. On one occasion we sailed over to the old port of Santa Maria, where Cristobal Colon (Spaniard's name for Chris Columbus) hailed from.

One time on a sail back accross the bay there was an offshore storm driving waves into the bay. As the water became more shallow, the waves got closer together and all began to look like very large sign waves. The little Cal would drop out of sight between waves several feet higher than the deck. Unbeknowst to me we were surfing down one face and getting ever closer to sticking the bow into the back of the wave forward. Back in port, I asked why they let me steer on the way over but not on the way back?:confused: "Ignorance is bliss":headb:

erobitaille

Member II
First sailed a Sunfish while in the Navy stationed in Bermuda. Spent more time swiming than sailing. Return to Wash DC area and sailed on friends boats and any ride I could get in Annapolis. Got married and talked the wife into sailing lessons in Annpolis on Tanzer 22's got her hooked and we found 1/2 share in a Tanzer 7.5, the other guy never sailed the boat in the 5 years we owned her. Sailed that boat all over the bay with our two young sons. moved to Ca got out of sail boats in to power boats. I'm sure you hve heard "you can't ski behind a sail boat Dad". Well the kids are grown up and we boaught our E-38 4 years ago and love sailing SF Bay. So do the boys.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Our first (1991) was a 14' Tomes. An English one design racer. Had no idea how to sail! We just used the main for awhile to kind of figure things out and then put the jib up. Wow, two sails were an eye opener. Sailed on Deer Lake in WA State.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Luffin' and Learnin'

Lots of new site members since 2008... time to give this fun thread a "bump."

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
I'll Play

A 1930's vintage Skaneateles 16' Comet. Single plank cedar hull with canvas over wood deck. Galvanized aircraft cable standing rigging with soldered on bronze fittings. Steel centerboard, wooden rudder and canvas sails. Got it and a trailer for $100.00. Read a couple of books, restored it, read another book and went sailing. Been doing this over and over. No more. My present boat is my last. That is, unless a really good deal comes along.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I first sailed on a friends Cal 27 in middle school and a couple outings in a Sunfish in HS. My wife had a Sunfish and O'Day 19 in middle school and into HS.

Fast forward 20+ years. Neither of us had so much given thought to sailing until one sunny windy day we were driving over the river with a bunch of sailboats on it, and my wife says "lets get a sailboat!" We found a little Ranger 22 to re-learn on and were immediately addicted. What a fun little boat! If I ever feel the need to have two boats I would get another one in a heartbeat. After 5 years when that boat got too small for two adults and two growing kids we bought a beat up Ericson 27, spent way too much time and $$ restoring it, but had fun and learned a ton in the process. Now we are onto the Ericson 30+ and very excited to continue learning.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
El Toros on Lake Merritt (SF Bay area) and the Oakland Estuary, starting about 6 IIRC. Then Kites and Lasers in Newport Beach, and on to Lido 14s and FJs as part of my high school sailing team. Then sea scouts... then college sailing team... then...dock-rat at the local yacht-club, bumming for positions on local races. Plus family outings on rented Victory sloops and later Ericson 27s.

Lots of boats since then. And still learning.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Penguin frostbite dinghy. My father built it from a kit, in the basement. Capsized the first time they let me go out alone.

Great thread. Many names from members before my time, yet familiar for their still helpful posts.

trenton

Member I
sailfish

My Dad and I built a Sailfish from plans in Mehanics Illustrated in the 50's. then on to racing on M20 then keel boats. wow that is a LONG time sailing

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Windsurfer - F2 Phoenix 340

Windsurfer - F2 Phoenix 340

This board would plane up in 10 knots with a 7.5 sail, and I could hang on in high teens to 20 with a 6.5. Actually my wife bought me a gift certificate for Windsurfing lessons at the local lake, I was in my mid-30s at the time.

Also around the same time I worked for a guy that had a Catalina 27 and would sometimes say "lets go sailing" when I showed up for work on Friday mornings.

The Ericson 32-3 is my first sailboat. We set a goal for me to get a boat by the time I was 50, I took ownership a day before my 51st birthday.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
A late bloomer, my wife and I have been lifetime boaters but didn't start sailing until we were in our late 40's. I decided one day that I wanted to teach myself how to sail so I set out to find a "cheap" boat to learn on (thinking that being cheap, I wouldn't worry about the inevitable damage I might cause).

One day we were walking the docks looking at used boats when a man sitting on his boat asked if he could help us. When I shared my brilliant idea, he asked if he could give me some free advice? His advice was to stop by the local sailing school, take their ASA course then we could join their club for $99 per month and have use of any of their 22-25' Catalinas. He said to tell them "Rich, the SeaTow guy" sent me.

We learned on their 22's and were instantly hooked.

Funny thing, a year later I was walking the dock at another marina looking for a boat when a man walked out of the office and asked if he could help. It was the SAME guy who had referred us to the school a year earlier. I told him that we had taken his advice and were now looking for a boat. We talked for an hour and in leaving I asked him to put the word out that I was looking.

Six months later I got a call from a man selling his Ericson 32/00. He was referred to me by Rich, the SeaTow Guy!

You can't make this stuff up,......