• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Whisker pole rigging

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
What kind of rigging do I need to use a whisker pole on my E30+?

I have the pole (which I have never used) and there is an attachment ring on the front of the mast, but there doesn't appear to be any other rigging like a topping lift or downhaul.

Also, the pole is adjustable, so how is the appropriate length determined?

Whisker pole

The length you set the pole at is the J measurement. Hook the fat end of the pole to the ring on the mast and then extend it so that the other end just touches the stemhead fitting and that's it. In stiffer breezes, topping lifts and downhauls are not necessary, but it makes good sense to move the genoa lead forward so that the sail doesn't twist off at the top. In very light breezes, you might be able to rig a topping lift from a spare halyard. All in all, whisker poles are rather good dead down wind. It's, to my way of thinking, a painful point of sail on a hot day. An asymmetrical chute obviates the pole, but you don't sail directly downwind with one of those critters.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
So I take it that a "stiff" breeze is enough to keep the pole from dropping but light air might not be enough?

Does the outboard end of the pole attach directly to the clew ring on the sail?

Should there be concern for the pole coming back and hitting the shrouds? What prevents that?

(Sorry for all the questions; this thing has been sitting on my deck for two years and I've never used it...)

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
My whisker pole is quite large and heavy, being an old bit of kit. It has a wire that runs to the outboard end, tensioned with a bungee to the inboard end, to keep the wire snug when not in use. I use a spare halyard, there are port and stbd wing halyards on my boat, to lift it. It really needs it in any wind due to the weight. The outboard end just clips to the sheet, not directly to the clew, and it draws up to the tied end just fine. Nothing keeps it off the forward lower shrouds except sheet management. I could add a foreguy to it but it works okay without. RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Some of the info in this thread is confusing to me. (Not that that is unheard of... :) )
A "Spinnaker Pole" is limited to the J measurement for racing purposes unless you take a rating penalty.
A "Whisker Pole" on the other hand is usually an extendable pole that goes out a lot further than a J measurement so that it can project the clew way out "flat" for your largest normal genoa.
For a boat around 30' a whisker pole would often be an 8' to 14' or a 10' to 18'.

Trying to pole out any jib over 100% with a J-length pole is really frustrating, in my experience.

When setting that pole, many folks put a small loop of line thru the genny clew and clip the pole end onto the loop. Otherwise the pole may slide down the sheet aft. Once boats get as large as 30', it may also help to go ahead and use a pole lift to take the weight of the pole and thereby assist with sail shape, especially in light air.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

msc1212

Member II
I sail with a whisker pole quite often in White sail events. The forespar website offers some very good tips on how to rig and sail with a whisker pole. They recommend that the whisker pole be extended to equal the foot of the sail. This is legal to do in PRHF rules. There is no restriction on the length of a whisker pole. Spinnakers, on the other hand, are limited to the J without taking a penalty. Attach the pole to the sheet, not the clue. Be sure to set the jaw downwards so the sheet drops when released as opposed to upwards for a spinnaker. Use the lazy sheet as a guy by bringing it around the cleat on your foredeck and snug the line up. This will keep the pole from backing into the shrouds. If possible you should use an uphaul. It helps to keep the pole parallel with the water. However this is not necessary. The leach tension should keep the pole up if you've set the pole out far enough. Always set the pole on the windward side of the boat and the main to leeward. If the boat heels in a gust this allows the whisker pole to rise. Putting it on the leeward side risks dipping the pole in the water and breaking.

Cheers

Michael

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Right

Loren and Michael have it right-the only limitation with respect to the J measurement is for a conventional spinnaker pole-you can go longer than the J if you are willing to take a rating penalty, though (talking about spinnakers-not jibs).

It is best to run the sheet through the end of pole rather than attach the pole to the clew ring itself-and the small loop Loren refers to is even better-since it will keep the end of the pole at the clew of the sail.

You can fly these poles without a topper or downhaul in most conditions, but it is always better to have both up and down control of the pole-it will help ensure you have maximum projection of the sail, and keep things from moving around, which just wastes energy. Spare halyards work great for a topper, and if you do not have any type of foreguy/downhaul rigged, you can use the lazy sheet led through a snatch block forward to be creative...

When sailing ddw, square the pole as far back as you can, and when sailing on more of a reach (up to about 135-140 AWA), you will ease the pole slightly forward-just like with a sym kite.

Happy sailing!