• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

YS Steering Pedestal replacement or refurbish

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I recently replaced the old Raymarine ST-40 instruments with B&G Triton 2 at the helm. This involved removing the Yacht Specialties pedestal guard which required removing everything on the pedestal above sprocket. What I found wasn’t promising. The steering shaft has play that seems to be coming from where the bearing’s seat, there’s some corrosion where the steel bolts attach the guard plate, engine controls, and compass, and the base of the pedestal is crumbling in places. There’s a lot of discussion on the forum about refurbishing the Yacht Specialties pedestal, but I’m wondering if it would be more cost effective to replace the pedestal with an Edson. The advantage would be moving to a pedestal with readily available parts.

I initially thought the Jefa rack and pinion system would be a simpler solution, but PYI quoted $6,200. Edson cable pedestals seem to be more reasonably priced. Has anyone done this swap? What was involved? Could you reuse the YS idler pully assembly? Did you relocate the pedestal guard feet or make a plate to adapt the YS spacing to the Edson pedestal?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I recall that at least one participant here has had a new column and base machined (and anodized and painted) to replace the OEM Yacht Specialties one. As long as the top casting is OK, it might be fine to re-weld it to a new column. Perhaps. It depends on the Cost of the Edson unit; and starting over with all new parts certainly does have some attraction! :)
While you have the old column base and presumably the two guard "feet" out, be sure to overdrill-epoxy-redrill all those holes in the plywood coring.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
There's no such thing as too many reminders to overdrill, fill, and drill. That was the first thing I did after pulling it apart. I was happy to find dry plywood even though it made it more difficult to remove the core. So far, so good removing hardware on this boat!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As I recall, Edson is used to YS/Merriman compatibility questions so worth a call to them. There's very little compatibility.

Here's my base replacement story. Flat base works fine--just make clear to the machine shop that it needs to be strong.