Zinc anode? E27

marcusn

Member II
Where do I find it (them)?
How do I know if I need to replace it (them)?

1975 Atomic 4 original.

Thanks,

Marcus

Brian K

Member III
Zincs

Marcus, I got mine at boatzincs.com Very good and quick service. You need to replace these at different intervals depending on where you sail and keep your boat. They should be replaced when you can see a significant difference between old one and a new one. They basically corrode and are reduced in size. Many replace them annually. For the price of them, err on the side of replacing them too frequently.

marcusn

Member II
Zincs - where do I find them?

Actually,
I'm so newbie that what I mean is where on the boat are they located.
I'm just not sure where to find them to look and see if there's any/enough left to warrent replacement.

Thanks!

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
No zincs on an Atomic 4 engine unless it was set up to run freshwater cooled. Not likely, but if it is freshwater cooled the zinc will be mounted in the heat exchanger. You will find or should find zincs on your propeller shaft when you haul the boat. Note the diameter of your shaft or take an old zinc to the store to replace.

obiwanrazzy

Member II
Here

Typical mointing points for zincs. Shaft and sometimes the shaft support. Bigger boats sometimes have a plate somewhere on the hull as well (my 27 doesn't). If you're in fresh water, I'd imagine there is less need to change them as often (may not need this many either). Also note the color of your prop. If it's turning reddish/pink then the zinc is past due and the prop is most likely also needing replacement.

Attachments

• prop_s.JPG
    prop_s.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 162