2006 NW Ericson Rendezvous - Discussion

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For those of us attending by car, is there a time slot for visiting boat-to-boat? Saturday afternoon, for instance? That was really the highlight of last year's rendezvous.
:egrin:

For me it is meeting the people I hear of on-line, and seeing their boats and getting to ask questions about maintenance and upgrades.
I do not mean to, in any way, downplay the importance of the dinner and the "more formal" part of the activities, though! :)

We shall try to remember to wear little homemade nametags again, too.

Best Fishes,

Loren in Portland

mark reed

Member III
Getting closer!

Southern Cross successfully transited from Astoria to Port Angeles this past weekend. We had planned for a Saturday departure, but due to forecast strong NW winds, we decided to wait a day. By Saturday evening, winds were already backing to W and not as high as forecasted. We watched Papa, a Bavaria 38, depart on the 6pm small ebb, but didn't want to arrive at sea just as darkness was falling. Sunday AM, we barely managed to get out of the West Basin at 0830 on a minus tide, caught a 2kt ebb across the bar, raised small jib and reefed main in 18kts apparent wind, and short reached toward Cape Flattery. Averaged close to 8kts on the early part of this passage, and were glad to have some help from the current. Shook out the reef as wind backed slightly, but were too lazy to change to the large headsail until we got passed by a Jeanneau Sun Fast 37 (Kitty Hawk out of PDX). By nightfall, we were averaging less than 4kts SOG, so fired up the aux. By 0430 we were closing the light at Umatilla Reef, and by 0630 we were through Hole in the Wall and heading down the Strait. Disappointed to find near calm and >2kts ebb, we carried on under power, and rounded Ediz Hook at 1600.

Grateful for all systems functioning well and a great crew. Now all we have to worry about is some decent wx for crossing to Sidney in a couple more weeks!

hodo

Member III
A question for the rendezvouz organizers, whom should I talk to about a possible donation for the rendezvouz? (It is some very high quality chocolate). Please let me know, I'd hate to have to keep it to myself. It goes quite well with a pale ale. Harold & Jessie, S/V Mischief :devil: Maker

Stuart

Member II
donation/prizes

Harold
When you get to the rendezvous, find me, I am in slip C-01. I will make sure it is used appropriately, honest. Does chocolate shrink each time it changes hands?:) It will make a great prize, thanks for getting something, anyone else????

hodo

Member III
Well, it is a done deal, there will be chocolate to be given away as prizes. I'm not sure what flavor, but as tasty as this stuff is, it won't matter. We will be leaving Kingston on the 12th, I think, and heading north. Is any one else headed up early? Maybe we will see you on the way. Not sure which route we will go yet. Also, Stuart, did you get our order for 2 XL T shirts? And Sean, did you get my e mail, and should I take the plumbing and electrical drawings up and hand off to someone, to get them on the website, or try to hook up with you herein Seattle? :cheers: Harold & Jessie, S/V Mischief :devil: Maker

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
hodo said:
...Sean, did you get my e mail, and should I take the plumbing and electrical drawings up and hand off to someone, to get them on the website, or try to hook up with you herein Seattle? :cheers: Harold & Jessie, S/V Mischief :devil: Maker

You can email me off line Harold (I did not see your email), but either we can meet you up here in Seattle (like at Shilshole or perhaps we can arrange a short lunch raftup with you and some other people), or you can probably pass them to Loren at the meet - who I think we'll be seeing on their way back down to Portland...(of course, I should ask Loren about this before volenteering his services! :D)

//sse

Stuart

Member II
T shirts

Hi Harold

I have you T shirt order in.
Great news on the Chocolate, If I can keep Heather on the dock and in the dingy, I may even get to try some.

Cheers
Stuart

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding the possibility of stopping at Sean's on the way...
Since we are car-pooling with another Ericson couple to the Rendezvous and back home on Sunday night...
I doubt that we will be near the Sea Tac area, although we would certainly like to do so under different circumstances.
;)

We have booked a reserved spot on the MV Coho each way.

Another time, another weekend...

Sorry 'bout that.
:boohoo:

Loren in Portland

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Loren Beach said:
...I doubt that we will be near the Sea Tac area...

SeaTac? SEATAC?? We don't live in SeaTac! We live in West Seattle (the shi-shi part near the 7-11)! :D

No problem on the doc - Harold, if you're in Tacoma, and want to schedule a meet either before or after the Rendezvous, that's fine. I come down there a couple times a quarter to drink beer at The Swiss with a buddy of mine. That way, you won't have to worry about it with respect to the Rendezvous... Of course, if you want to meet at Shilshole, that's still a possibility, etc.

Just email me off line, etc... We'll catch up with you guys later on also, Loren..anytime...

//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Being from another state (of mind) I was just trying to make the point that we will not be driving the east side of the Sound this trip, i.e. the Seattle - Tacoma general area....
I do hope you live near one of the more upscale 7-11's...
:)

Best,
Loren

Mike.Gritten

Member III
All,

I just found out that we will NOT be able to attend the rendezvous!!! :boohoo:
The Admiral just returned from a trip to help her father after bypass surgery, only to discover that two of her three employees have left the company! She will have nobody to cover her for the few days it would have taken for us to go to and return from Port Sidney :boohoo:
I will have to give all the great FREE stuff that West Marine is donating to Stuart to bring down there! It figures...West Marine is finally giving ME something for FREE, only, I won't be there to enjoy it!!!!:boohoo:

...sucks to be me....!

chasandjudy

chas and judy
For those of you going to the Rendezvous on Sidney-- A few of us Maurading
Vikings after the Rendezvous are going to Chemanus to the dinner theatre
My Fair Lady is on for the dinner and show it is $52.43 for just the Show its
32.10 that's $52.43 for both if you are going phone 250-246-9820 and make your reservations for moorage call 250 715-8186 do this as soon as possible
Great Show , great Town (city of murals) Chas sloop Eden 250-478-3669

CaptDan

Member III
Loren Beach said:
Love the photos and look forward to a good time at the Rendezvous.
Only hitch is that just this week I have discovered that the sheaves in my old YS pedistal steering system are questionable, at least for four days "at sea" :eek:

...and then today Kathy's boss put a semi/sorta-demand on her to attend some sort of training seminar on the 22nd.
Looks like we will (again, like last year...) be attending by car. We will try for a hotel reservation in Sidney.

Oh well, "life" is what happens to you while you are making plans!

Loren in PDX

I'll definately be arriving by 'boat.' However it'll be the Victoria Clipper - not aboard 'Kunu.':)

Should be in Sidney middle afternoon Saturday. Hope to find all you find Vikings by Sat night.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
We have to 'bow' out. :esad: The boat hasn't been away from the dock since January and my priorities are so messed up I've hardly even gotten any work done on it all winter except the two hatch repairs. I hope we can get away this weekend for a shakedown cruise - maybe one night at Poulsbo. Get the summer started!

Post lots of pictures.

wurzner

Member III
Too bad to see some folks dropping out...Craig I was really looking forward to seeing your boat to compare the different layouts.

I'm heading up to Deception Pass Thursday afternoon and leaving the Pass around 7:30 AM to arrive in Sidney by hopefully later afternoon. We will be leaving early Sunday since my wife needs to fly out Monday AM from Seatac. We have another couple coming up with us but I may do the Deception Pass Trip to Everett by myself.

Considering we just took delivery of the boat in March from Alameda, we've already put around 700 miles on her. The Round Whidbey and Swifsure races helped a lot. I raced 4 weeks in a row so this week will be busy getting yard work done as well as provisioning the boat.

This weekend will be a fair amount of travelling for the event, but what the heck...it only happens once a year and I wouldn't miss it for the world. I look forward to seeing you folks who can make it up there. The weather doesn't look too bad and I think it will improve over the next few days...Rain and Sunbreaks is fine with me!

regards
shaun
S/V Sorcerer
Ericson 38-200

mark reed

Member III
I will miss you all

My father has been put on hospice care and is not expected to make it more than a few more days. Looks like the boat will stay parked at Port Angeles until things are resolved. I was really looking forward to this rendezvous. Hope to run into some of you later this summer. Early August in Deso?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
It's sad to hear that Mark. We offer our condolences. Have a safe trip.

Shaun - next year's Rendezvous - and we'll keep an eye out for you on the Sound. It would be nice to have an EY.o burgee in the rigging so we could spot each other easier.

We'll miss the rest of the NW Vikings, too.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Have a Great Trip!

Good wishes to all of you heading off to attend the 2006 NW Ericson Rendezvous! Have a safe passage and enjoy yourselves...

We'll be thinking of you as the horde of roofers decends on this house in the next few days - and we'll be seeing you next year for sure! :egrin:

Stuart - please take lots of pictures and send me a CD and an XL tee shirt - I'll send you the payment (including postage) directly.

Take care,
//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A very short report

We are back home, by auto. We and the Pick's car-pooled up and back. Splitting the fuel and ferry costs helps the ol' retirement budget a lot...

BIG crowd of owners and familes and a lot of boats, but a more responsible person will have to post the true numbers from the signup sheet.
This year we all tried to spend a lot more time aboard the various boats, and still seem to have missed some completely. :rolleyes:

Those lucky sailors that are still vacationing will spend the next week or so sailing about in the Islands and continuing their good times. Those on a short leash from work were heading back post haste... and some of the group had to head to various airports to wing it back home.

The Admiral now wants her own Viking Helmet! Maybe I can print a big "O" on the front.

I have seen a lot of boats both smaller and larger than my own that I could be perfectly happy in. :D
Many Projects have been discussed, past and future, to make good boats even better! It is always worth upgrading a Well Designed and attractive boat...

The legacy of Ericson Yachts drew us together, and the wonderful owners and families really make the journey worthwhile and a lot of Fun, whether by sea, land, or air...
Oh, and Speaking of being on a short leash.... Umm....
Oh well, let Glyn speak for himself! (sorry, bad pun alert)
:egrin:

Note: we need a category for Best of Show for the many cats and dogs!
"All Paws on Deck!"

Cheers,
Loren, back in PDX

ps: the "apple pie in a bottle" was... amazing! :devil: :devil:

Last edited: