• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2020 PNW Rendezvous - July 17-19, 2020 - Genoa Bay Marina

Jamiem

Member II
We Just purchased an Ericson 39 in Portland and will be starting the renovation next week. If we are on schedule we might be able to meet up with y'all in Genoa Bay. I have done some sailing around there in my Macgregor 25 and I thought I remember reading that the entrance depth can be an issue. We will be drawing 6' v.s. 18" with our old boat. I will be a bit more paranoid not that I cannot raise my keel if I bottom out.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Jamiem,
Congrats on your purchase of an E39! I've never seen that model, so it would be great if you could make it to the Rendezvous, in addition to meeting you as a new member. :)
There is no issue for depth in going to Genoa Bay, except for the reef further out in the bay. But the reef is marked and the charts are clear, and there is lots of room to avoid the reef. Our boat draws about 6 feet, and we've never had a problem at Genoa Bay, either anchoring in the lovely bay or staying on the dock at the marina.
Hope to see you there in July!
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We Just purchased an Ericson 39 in Portland and will be starting the renovation next week. If we are on schedule we might be able to meet up with y'all in Genoa Bay. I have done some sailing around there in my Macgregor 25 and I thought I remember reading that the entrance depth can be an issue. We will be drawing 6' v.s. 18" with our old boat. I will be a bit more paranoid not that I cannot raise my keel if I bottom out.
Probably NOMB, but did you buy the project boat stored at Schooner Creek Boat Yard? A friend of mine owned it until about a decade ago (or more) and cruised it in BC waters.

Last edited:

Jamiem

Member II
Probably NOMB, but did you buy the project boat stored at Schooner Creek Boat Yard? A friend of mine owned it until about a decade ago (or more) and cruised it in BD waters.
yes, I did. I am a moderately competent DIYer (which is probably a comment many would say) I have fixed and sailed on canoes and sailboats fixed by my dad and then myself. I was amazed at the info the owner had on the racing and maintenance history of the boat. It helps to have that info when looking at planning repairs/renovations.

Jamiem

Member II
Jamiem,
Congrats on your purchase of an E39! I've never seen that model, so it would be great if you could make it to the Rendezvous, in addition to meeting you as a new member. :)
There is no issue for depth in going to Genoa Bay, except for the reef further out in the bay. But the reef is marked and the charts are clear, and there is lots of room to avoid the reef. Our boat draws about 6 feet, and we've never had a problem at Genoa Bay, either anchoring in the lovely bay or staying on the dock at the marina.
Hope to see you there in July!
Frank
Thanks, I can now just worry about the 1001 mechanical and logistical tasks to be done to make it. Once I get to 501 tasks, I will book a slip space but I really need to make sure the key issues like the Diesel and associated accessories are "ship shape" prior to committing.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
After reading about the open-ended BC border closure to "tourists" today, I emailed the marina to say that we will not be attending. Hope next year is more 'normal' for travel. (sigh)
:(

@Loren Beach

So many things are cancelling and this may be the next. I think I will hold off until the end of April before cancelling completely. If we do cancel this year, maybe Canada can host for 2021.

for now. Stay safe. Practice social distancing (no better place than in a sailboat) and wash your hands.

Shannon

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Oh Man! I'm finally better and Terra Nova is ready to roam and I'm restricted to my little acreage with the orders to not interact with any humans. Life isn't fair! Maybe the boat in the middle of nowhere is the answer.

Genoa Bay I'm going to miss and I was so looking forward to it and being with real sailors.

Annette

I'm going to keep my 32ft Ericson Peregrine (1973) in Genoa Bay starting tomorrow :) Hoping that by July things will have gotten to a point where a rendezvous will be thinkable and even doable! Hope you can all stay safe!

Lynn

Member I
Annette! That's fantastic news! I'm going to be next door in Maple Bay for a haul out of a friend's boat tomorrow.

We'll be the ones polishing/waxing the topsides of the Catalina 30. Why don't your drop by? Promise I won't hand you a buffer ;)
Alternatively, I will have my car , so I would be very happy to come by your dock at Genoa Bay, later on, once our weary shoulders and necks can take no more, and say hi and admire your lovely Ericson from 6 ft away?
Btw - I'm a wannabe Ericson owner, and it would be a real pleasure to meet a local Ericson owner.

Re. the Genoa Bay Rendez Vous - I will definitely be there!
Whenever it takes place - with or without my new Ericson!

Lynn

Annette

Hi Lynn, thanks for the message :)
I'll be putting Peregrine on a (brand new) mooring, not into the marina. Don't worry, over the winter I'll be in the marina! This is just for the warmer months.
I will leave oak Bay only around noon and be going against the endless ebb, so likely getting into Genoa too late to socialize. I'm looking forward to hanging out at some point though :)

Lynn

Member I
Hope your trip went well Annette.
We are still here at the boatyard in Maple Bay tomorrow/ Friday. We will probably go to Genoa Bay later on in the day.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I know this won't come as much of a surprise to anyone, but it appears that we're going to have to cancel our trip up there in July due to COVID and associated family scheduling.

If anyone is looking for a close-in accommodation for the event, we were going to be staying at a placed in the immediate vicinity that's now available and pretty nice (I'll show the location below). You'll want to go through AirB&B to get the listing if you're interested:

Listing name: "Peaceful Oceanfront Guest House -- Oceanside Walkout".
Address: 668 Kerr Drive, Duncan, BC.
Host: Marlene & Wade, 403-651-5191

Please take pictures of this event for the site -- and see you guys next year!

//sse

NWER2020 Accomodation.JPG

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Sorry to hear that, Sean. I'm hoping we can have a superb rendezvous in 2021, perhaps even at Genoa Bay, to make up for the disappointment of all the folks who have to cancel. Still not sure if this year's event will proceed or be cancelled altogether. Might still be a bit too early for that decision.
Frank

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Sorry to hear that, Sean. I'm hoping we can have a superb rendezvous in 2021, perhaps even at Genoa Bay, to make up for the disappointment of all the folks who have to cancel. Still not sure if this year's event will proceed or be cancelled altogether. Might still be a bit too early for that decision.
Frank

Yes, I would advocate for that!

With the borders closed and minimal marinas open, I am thinking it may be best to postpone until next year when things have more certainty. Definitely at Genoa