• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

'74 E27 1000cc Engine Starter Battery

SteveS

Member II
I have a Palmer P60 gas engine (60 Cu. in., 6.5:1 compression,22HP @ 3000rpm) on my 1974 E27. Due to space limitations I am wanting to add an additional starter battery of a smaller size. I already have 2 house batteries for backup. Looking at the P60 engine manual I see a no load requirement of 80A for the starter motor. The battery I'm wanting to add is a 34 - 40AH (approximately 1/2 of a Group 24) with CCA of 200-300. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Steve

rssailor

starter battery

Go ahead and find a red top optima battery. It will have plenty of cranking power to start your engine. If you want find a good group 24 with a high MCA rating. Good luck and remember that starting batteries will not last as long as deep cycle batteries due to their thinner plates. Make sure you have a good charging system on shore power that floats your batteries properly as well. They will last longer that way. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions. Ryan