A new stripe in gel coat

Stuart 28-2

Member II
My 1988 28-2 sits a little low in the water leaving the water line mark a little higher than the white stripe intended as the water line. See photo - you can see the water line mark in the blue.
To make it look better I am considering increasing the height of the white stripe by about an inch.
Is it feasible to do a white stripe like that the full length of the boat over the top of blue gelcoat?

I'm hoping it's a job that can be done over a few days once all planning done and product in hand.

I haven't done any gelcoat work yet but will be doing other repair work first before I take this on.

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_142237220.jpg
    IMG_20210930_142237220.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 17

jkfuller10

Our E35-II also sat off her lines a bit (low aft). Getting this straight was a challenging effort AND then leveling the new boot stripe (while keeping it the original thickness) was also challenging. We seeked the advise and support of the professionals and I was amazed at the complexity of the task. We did get the outcome we hoped for - but it took time, patience, and dollars. In the end, the boat looks fantastic~~

Attachments

• tempImage8Etd3r.png
    tempImage8Etd3r.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • tempImageG443A2.png
    tempImageG443A2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • tempImageoViUmY.png
    tempImageoViUmY.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 23534A93-4DDF-4DFD-A4D8-3710A4144D23_1_201_a.jpeg
    23534A93-4DDF-4DFD-A4D8-3710A4144D23_1_201_a.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 6550E235-80BF-4666-871D-04B23F8BBC08_1_201_a.jpeg
    6550E235-80BF-4666-871D-04B23F8BBC08_1_201_a.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 40

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The easy solution to marine growth under the factory boot stripe is to extend the bottom paint up -- at the cost of the attractive stripe. Many Ericsons seem to require this when loaded with gear.

But really, a yard can do anything you want with paint, which adheres fine to sanded gelcoat. Yes, a bit expensive.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
You have to choose your battles with a (in my case) 52-year-old boat. After many years of wrestling with bootstripe paint, I painted over the bootstripe with bottom paint and added a vinyl stripe above it.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I second Christian’s suggestion. Did it myself this year and the absence of the scum line is a 28% improvement in my general waterline appearance.

Stuart 28-2

Member II
Our E35-II also sat off her lines a bit (low aft). Getting this straight was a challenging effort AND then leveling the new boot stripe (while keeping it the original thickness) was also challenging. We seeked the advise and support of the professionals and I was amazed at the complexity of the task. We did get the outcome we hoped for - but it took time, patience, and dollars. In the end, the boat looks fantastic~~
Just revisiting this post. That does look fantastic!
Do you know how many hours of labor it took?

jkfuller10

The bottom / rudder / stripes / transom project was time consuming - thus costly. However, we are very pleased with the outcome.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I tried that a few years ago. Ended up with a few small blisters within the boot stripe. Turns out that to be really effective, I should have started from scratch and extended the barrier coat up over the boot stripe, then repainted the stripe and filled in the bottom paint.