• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Data Marine Depth Finder

gulfcoaster

Member III
Hey guys and Happy Thanksgiving! We have an E32-3 1987. Our depth gauge seems to bounce all over the place with somewhat inconsistant readings. We sail in waters averaging 13 feet or less here in Galveston Bay. My instruction booklet says to adjust the shallow (under 20 ft) thing on the back of the unit. It has no effect. I can turn it on in the slip and I should be in 5-6 ft of water and the thing will bounce every couple of seconds varying as much as 2 feet or so. Could it be a ground problem? I had the transducer and cable replaced 8 years ago. The problem seems to be getting worse. Any help would be appreciated.

kevin81

Member II
Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Does the problem also occur in the bay? Can you pull the transducer out and make sure there is nothing attached to it?

I'm across the channel (in SSY). I noticed lots of shallow readings after Ike - from lots of junk floating under the surface. Otherwise at the slip it's 10-12' deep.

Kevin
E34 Serenidad

gulfcoaster

Member III
HI kevin

My depth readings fluctuate in the slip as well as out in the bay. I'll get a 2 ft fluctuation in the bay as well. I remember your boat when it was at Waterford and Legion Point as well. We appear to be getting a new clubhouse near our pool area. Structural damage and foundation damage as well. Will they rebuild Sundance?:cool:

kevin81

Member II
Sorry but I don't have any more ideas about the depthsounder. Have you talked to Sailtech and ask if they have any ideas? They repaired my wind masthead unit a few years ago. Also if it is a Datamarine you might want to contact DMI and ask there advice (http://www.dmimarine.com/index.html)

As to Sundance - only a rumor but heard SSY will not let them rebuild. Then again, also heard rumors that Skippers and South Shore Beer Garden wouldn't be rebuilt but Skippers is be rebuilt and I did see a sign a few weeks ago in front of South Shore Beer Garden stating it would reopen.

The big question is Tookies - I heard both it will not reopen and others it will? What have you heard? If they don't I know a few people that will have severe withdraws from not having a #99 or other burgers.

Any news on Pappadeaux's rebuilding?

Kevin

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I am replacing my DMIs with Raymarine. You can use my instrument to verify your transducer is working properly. You pay round trip shipping.

gulfcoaster

Member III
Tim. Thank you for your offer. I'll wait a bit longer here to see if I get any other suggestions regarding trouble shooting. :)

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Check for low voltage. I installed a new depth finder at the same time I had a light left on in the head and drained the house battery. I got fluctuating readings and when I discovered the low battery corrected that issue the depth finder worked fine. You might have a high resistance connection in the circuit to the unit.

gulfcoaster

Member III
I haven't thought of a low voltage issue. Would this still apply if connected to shore power and the voltmeter...with a.c. charger off.. shows 12+ volts?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Test the voltage at the meter it is most likely a resistave circuit if you have low voltage at the unit, not the house batteries low.

RR

Shadowfax

Member III
I just went through this. You can send your transducer to DMI to have them check it out. If it is original equipment, which I'm sure it is, the problem is probably the transducer and it need to be replaced. DMI have replacements that match the head unit.

Have fun

gulfcoaster

Member III
As I mentioned in my previous post, the transducer and cable were replaced 8 years ago. I will check the voltage at the instrument this weekend with my voltmeter. Thank you for all the feedback. I will report back after taking your suggestions to the boat!