E-25 Bulkhead repair

bdubose

Hi all:

The Starboard main bulkhead in my '76 E-25 had significant rot on the lower 4 inches of it all the way across (it was a Florida boat in its previous life). I used a dremel cutter and cut all of the rot out. To fix I have cut 3/8 cdx to fit the bottom 22 inches on both sides and have through bolted with 3/4 inch diameter galvanized bolts. The edges of the cdx I have sealed with epoxy. There was enough room on both sides of the bulkhead for the new plywood to fit flush against the bulkhead and the cabin sole.

This appears to be a solid fix to me but I usually read about complete replacement of the bulkhead. Does anyone know of a reason why this won't work? Cosmetically it's not the greatest, though I think I can get it to look finished with a little paint and trim.

Thanks,
Bratton
Tippin
Bozeman,MT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Was the original main bulkhead glassed to the hull?
If not, what is now securing your repaired section to the hull?

Some E-25 restorers need to weigh in, obviously.

(FWIW, the main transverse bulkhead is glassed in all the way around in our present 34 footer, and was glassed to the hull in order to transfer the rigging loads in our prior 26 footer.)

Best,

Loren

bdubose

There were a couple of screws holding the foot of the bulkhead to a raised up fiberglass section immediately aft of the bulkhead.

The bulkhead is not glassed in.

BD