E26-2 - How to Un-Step the Mast

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Can anyone from the E26 crew give me some clues and/or tips on taking down a deck-stepped Kenyon mast? Obviously I need to remove sails, lines, boom vang, etc. I think I can figure that part all out. Then detach the furler and stays (any particular order recommended?). Big question - how does the mast actually detach from the base? It wasn't obvious at my first look, but is there a pin or bolt? Anyone have pictures? I know from Randall's pictures there's a wiring and antenna cable inside I need to detach once it's lifted, but he completely re-did his to be able to lower/raise from the ground.

Our club has a hand-cranked crane tower that I can pull up under once it's on a trailer, and I intend to attach the strap so it slides up and lifts under the spreaders until the weight shifts, but the detach part I need to figure out. Appreciate any help as well as any "gotchas" I might encounter.

Brad Johnson

Member III
I take mine down every year to get the boat home so have experience , Once you have some tension on the strap and its pulling straight up, detach inner stays, fuller, backstays, then upper stays, lift enough detach wires , walk base of mast to bow as you lower strap until the mast is resting on the pulpits or ground.
s

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
I take mine down every year to get the boat home so have experience , Once you have some tension on the strap and its pulling straight up, detach inner stays, fuller, backstays, then upper stays, lift enough detach wires , walk base of mast to bow as you lower strap until the mast is resting on the pulpits or ground.
s
Thanks, Brad. That's VERY helpful to know the best order and a procedure you've perfected. Is there a pin or bolt that holds the mast to the step, or does it just lift straight off?

Last edited:

Brad Johnson

Member III
My mast is not a Keton but I restored a 25+ and that was a Keton and had a bolt thru a tabinacial ?? ( not sure of spelling )

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks, Brad. That's VERY helpful to know the best order and a procedure you've perfected. Is there a pin or bolt that holds the mast to the step, or does it just lift straight off?
On my 26-2 it just lifts straight up off the step. No bolt or any other fastener.

Shankara

Member II
My 25+ has the cutout for hinging (see picture attached.)

I had the option to wait through the weekend and have the marina place the mast with a crane, or try to raise it manually with a friend and a gin pole made out of a spinnaker pole. If I were to do my entire life over I would have had the marina do it.

Attachments

• 943095D2-CC5D-4019-9650-5764EF7AE4A7.jpeg
    943095D2-CC5D-4019-9650-5764EF7AE4A7.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 9