E27 Tiller Fork and Tiller

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi- I am going to be switching my E27 back to tiller steering. The PO put in a wheel in front of the tiller which makes it difficult to move around the cockpit. Unfortunately the tiller fork/bracket and tiller did not come with the boat. Based on some other posts here, I'm guessing the tiller fork is a custom piece. Does anyone have photos of their tiller fork and tiller so I can get an idea of what to look for in the way of a replacement?

Or if anyone knows of a replacement source, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Doug

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A rudder head fitting new could be a spendy casting... or look around the marine second hand stores in Portland and the Seattle/Puget Sound area...

Ask at any and all marine repair yards. Anyone might have one sitting in a corner.

Be sure to know the O.D. of the rudder shaft on your boat.

Also, check this forum for leads -- might be good idea to join so you can post there.
http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/

Good luck,
Loren

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks, Loren. Luckily the rudder head is still there, its just the fork that fits over it and attaches the tiller (and the tiller) thats missing. But from some of the posts here, it sounded like there was a special type of tiller fork required for this one. I guess if worse came to worse I could just cut a couple plates of SS and drill some holes, but I suspect that wouldn't work as well.

I've been spending a lot of time at PlasticClassics, since I'll be doing a major core replacement this spring:mad:. Lots of good info there. But good advice, I'll be posting this request there soon.

Thanks,

Doug

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Also keep an eye out for derelict boats that might have a tiller you could buy cheap. The wheeled E27 came with a full on tiller, often tucked away in the v-berth shelving. I'm sure you've looked all over the boat for it...:).

rgoff

Member III
You should able to buy a new tiller specifically made for the E27 from:

H & L Marine Woodwork Inc
2965 E Harcourt St, Compton, CA 90221-5501
Contact Phone: (310) 638-8746

They don't seem to have a website.

Steve Swann

Member III
Good Source in Idaho for Tiller, Fork, etc.

Check with Joel at Idahasailor Marine in Boise for the parts and pieces you might need. His people can fabricate items for you and electroplate them as well. Believe it or not, we have a great Ericson resource here!

sailboats@idasailor.com or telephone: (208) 375-2204

Steve Swann
E25 c/b Seahorse
Boise, ID