• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 direct hatch replacement?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hello All,
I have a leaking main salon hatch on my E38, the big 24" by 24" unit just aft of the mast. Its original, looks like its leaking from the frame seam, or catch rivets, bedding, etc. There is enough corrosion to warrant replacement. Does anyone know of a hatch that is a direct, bolt-on replacement? Looking for "offshore grade" if possible. Thanks, RT

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Rob, check the Lewmar Ocean series. They have a direct bolt on replacement for my hatches. They come with either a flat or flanged base. Make sure you spec the flat base if that is what yours is now. I think yours is a series 70.

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, the hatches on the boat now are Lewmars. I had the tops rebuilt a couple of years ago but the frames appear to be the problem now. Thanks for the input Tim. RT

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Check the Lewmar "Ocean 70". I believe they are slightly different in the corner radius but are supposed to fit the original deck opening. I also think the bolt pattern is different. If you go that route let us know how it works; I have been considering the Ocean 70 to replace my main hatch as well. Mauri Pro seems to have the best prices I have seen.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Defender will put these on sale this winter during one of their "boat show" sales. I got mine for very cheap.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Rob - Ditto on what Tim said. I replaced one a couple of years ago with an Ocean Series and it fit exactly, in spite of what Select Plastics would have you believe. Most of the holes do not match, but that is not a problem.