• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 leaky fuel tank (This website foretells my future grief all too well)

Wind River

Inactive Member
I recall reading a thread that Rob Thomas did last year on a leaky fuel tank in this E38 thinking to myself…what a rotten job that would be. Well, I just finished cutting out the quarter berth floor and pumped out 40 gallons diesel into pile of jerry cans. That thread with all the pics proved invaluable. I am at the point where I have to cut the corner of the fuel tank off in order to remove it through the companionway but I don’t want to blow myself up. How have others done this and what safety precautions have others taken (Rob?) in order to do this? The tank is empty but has quite a bit of sediment in it. Thanks George

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
No fireworks

WARNING check your filler hose and vent hose frequently.

When I started disconnecting the hoses I found that the filler hose was cut at the top of the tank neck. I am sure from 30 years of stuff hitting it

It looks like I am about to cut four inches off the deepest corner of the tank on my E29. I wish it had diesel fuel in it. It is a gas burner and that makes my job much riskier. I plan to flush the tank with simple green and water after I empty it as dry as possible. Then I will probably drop chunks of dry ice and a little water to fill the tank with CO2 and then start sawing with a hand hacksaw with a one ended handle.

If anyone has a better idea let me know. The hatch is 12” and the tank is 15” at the highest point.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
George,
Sorry to hear that you are in the same predicament I was. Its a crappy repair to have to make but at least you are not doing it in the middle of sailing season! Regarding cutting the old fuel tank: Diesel fuel is not very flammable. Generally it needs to be atomized or in a "wick" of some kind to ignite. It is highly unlikely, all but impossible, that the fumes will ignite. I cut the tank with a Sawzall fitted with a demolition blade known as the "Axe". Very aggressive and loud cutting but goes through aluminum sheet like butter. Place a large drop cloth under where you are cutting as the chips fly all about.

I used these black rubber pads, used to mount/isolate machinery, glued to the hull and new tank to keep the new tank off the hull. The idea was to keep the tank from sitting in any moisture that would cause new corrosion. I have been informed that black rubber has carbon in it and this in itself will attack the new aluminum tank. Seems like I can't win..... I am leaving it as is. No way am I going back in again. Make your spacers out of something like solid fiberglass.

RT