• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine control/instrument panel replacement

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Panel and gauge protection & covering...

Other solutions just as good, and this was ours.

Last edited:

Bumbugo13

I might be a little late to this party but I wanted to share the solution we found for replacing the ignition panel on our 1986 E 32-3.

As the pics indicate the original panel was pretty rough. It was cracked around the glow plug and start buttons. When you pushed the glow plug button the panel moved. Combine that with a really old button and starting was an adventure. I started using a small tool that looked like a dental pick to pull the panel forward while simultaneously depressing the button. Not easy.

The panel was beyond repair so we set about searching for replacements. Even used panels on E-bay were outrageously expensive. Then I looked up 3-D printing and found a guy close to home. I sent him a pic of the panel and he said he could fabricate one. So, we removed the old one from the boat and took it to him. He used it to develop the replacement in autocad. Then printed a new one. It fit like a glove. It's actually a bit thicker and stronger than the old one. And the guy who made was great. Very professional and very passionate about his work. His business is FreeDimension LLC. I highly recommend him.

I'm showing the old panel. The new one on his printer bed. The new one alone. And the new one installed.

Attachments

• 20220807_123410 (1).jpg
    20220807_123410 (1).jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220810_084425.jpg
    20220810_084425.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220810_093843.jpg
    20220810_093843.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220811_113653.jpg
    20220811_113653.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 22

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
. . . Then I looked up 3-D printing and found a guy close to home. I sent him a pic of the panel and he said he could fabricate one. So, we removed the old one from the boat and took it to him. He used it to develop the replacement in autocad. Then printed a new one. It fit like a glove. It's actually a bit thicker and stronger than the old one. And the guy who made was great. Very professional and very passionate about his work. His business is FreeDimension LLC. I highly recommend him.
. . .
Nicely done! Do you know what kind of resin he printed with?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Wish I had more info about this technology when I built my panel replacement out of fiberglass. Hours of mold-making and glassing and painting… This seems like it is the way to go.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
I was told BSA, which is bovine serum albumin. Commonly used in 3-D printing. From what I understand. Maybe ABS, BSA are the same thing? I don't know enough about it. But the link to guy who fabricated it is there. He would know for sure.
I was just curious about the material's properties in the elements. I wrote Fri and he replied quickly, saying that the body is made of PETG, similar to what water bottles are made of. Cool solution Bumbugo. Thanks for sharing!